PT29.S1.Q19 - arbitrator: the shipping manager

AnthonyScaliaAnthonyScalia Alum Member
edited July 2017 in Logical Reasoning 330 karma

Hi guys! I wanted some insight into why A qualifies as a right answer for this question.

The argument is saying that the manager should be blamed/is responsible for the project's delay because he was aware that the contractor often runs late and should have planned for this possibility.

The designated correct answer, "a principle that underlies the argument," is that a manager should take foreseeable problems into account when deciding things.

While I recognize the logic that makes this answer correct, I take issue with its specific language. Saying that a manager "should take foreseeable obstacles into account" does not necessitate that /a manager should in fact be blamed if they do not take such obstacles into account,/ which is the logic piece that would plug the hole. Specifically, the word "should" cannot be reasonably assumed to mean "must, otherwise blame/responsibility is accrued," and it fails to accomplish that on multiple fronts.

Should is an opinion word and does not guarantee certainty of execution, or lack of execution. Furthermore, even if one was to equate "should" with some form of "must," "must" alone would exclude the possibility of an event not happening, making it impossible to address the implications of it not happening.

Is there a LSAT-specific reading of "should" that alters the meaning of the question?

If not, why would it be incorrect to read "should" as "ought to"/"would benefit from," thus making "ought to take foreseeable problems into account" insufficient as a principle that justifies the manager being /blamed/ for not taking them into account?

Thanks for the read :) I really appreciate any thoughts you all may have!

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-29-section-1-question-19/

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited July 2017 10779 karma

Hey,

So oxford dictionary defines should as something that indicates obligation, duty or correctness. So although the word "should" is an opinion it also implies that in that the person who holds that opinion thinks of this as obligatory or duty to be fulfilled.

So according to answer choice A, the Manager is obligated to take foreseeable actions into account when making decisions.

And according to the stimulus he did not fulfill that obligation so this principle would underlie the speakers conclusion that the manager must be blamed as he did not fulfill his obligation.