Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Memorizing Valid and Invalid Argument Forms

Hi All,

So I made flashcards for Logical Indicators and Argument Part Indicators and used the Leitner system; but the argument forms aren't all named so I'm not sure how to make them into flashcards or generally memorize them other than stare at them a bunch. Has anyone had any success with memorizing these?

Comments

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    edited July 2017 2573 karma

@AlexanderCM here's what I did for all of them.

http://imgur.com/f5fIDz6

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@AlexanderCM said:
    Hi All,

So I made flashcards for Logical Indicators and Argument Part Indicators and used the Leitner system; but the argument forms aren't all named so I'm not sure how to make them into flashcards or generally memorize them other than stare at them a bunch. Has anyone had any success with memorizing these?

I think everyone learns a bit differently so you have to try to adopt a method that works for you. I basically just types out a cheat sheet on Word and studied them. It also helped to understand exactly why an argument form is either valid or invalid before trying to just memorize them. I think not fully comprehending the theory behind validity and invalidity made it harder to internalize.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@tanes256 said:
    @AlexanderCM here's what I did for all of them.

http://imgur.com/f5fIDz6

Nice concept @tanes256 -- very intuitive to understand as well!

• dcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdc Alum Member
    382 karma

I made side 1 of flash card the "premises" (e.g., A-most->B->C) then made side 2 the conclusion to be drawn (in this case, A-most->C). That is the key point of memorizing these forms: to draw the inferences, or otherwise determine no inferences can be drawn. I wouldn't list the valid or invalid or the inference in the side you use to prompt yourself.

• AlexanderCMAlexanderCM Member
    174 karma

@dcdcdcdcdc said:
    I made side 1 of flash card the "premises" (e.g., A-most->B->C) then made side 2 the conclusion to be drawn (in this case, A-most->C). That is the key point of memorizing these forms: to draw the inferences, or otherwise determine no inferences can be drawn. I wouldn't list the valid or invalid or the inference in the side you use to prompt yourself.

Bingo, thanks this makes a lot of sense.