Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking LSAT for the 3rd Time-Possible to break into 175 range?

TiresiasEnVivoTiresiasEnVivo Free Trial Member
in General 15 karma

My first take was June 2016. I got a 170, although I ended up guessing on 7 questions (timing) and got 4 of those correct. I had never scored above a 168 on my PTs (mostly in PTs 40-50). I thought I could improve on the 170, and decided to buckle down and study hard and then retake in June 2017. I didn't end up really studying hard until March/April, but felt I made some strong improvements, though I was still reliably testing in the high 160s, albeit on the most recent preptests, which seem a good deal more difficult than PTs 40-50.
I was tired of putting the test off, even though my PT scores had plateaued around 169, and decided to take the test anyway. I ended up getting a 169. This is especially frustrating because I let the pressure of timing get to me on LG and gave up 2 easy points. Also frustrating because my goals are to get into HYS or a Ruby, and with a 3.83 GPA I feel I need a score in the mid 170s. Further score improvement still seems achievable, but I'm wondering how I can improve from the high 160's to my target range, especially given I spent a year self-studying (not as devoted as I should've been), feel like I wasted a lot of PT's, and seem to really lose my shit when the clock is on.
Have any of you found yourselves in a similar situation? Any advice?

Comments

• ajcrowelajcrowel Free Trial Member
    207 karma

I was in your boat once. I got a 168 on June 2016 and was able to score a 174 in December of the same year. I only self studied, so the good news is that it's not impossible. (For what's it's worth my friend/study buddy had the same issue over that same interval of time and went from a 167 to a 177, so it's not an uncommon problem and I'm not just some unicorn either).

Really, the hard fact of the matter is you're going to have to move from excellent (96 percentile or whatever) to exceptional (99+ percentile). That requires being nearly perfect at everything.

The first step to understanding how to get there goes something like this: every high scorer is exactly alike in the ways that matter, every low(er) scorer differs in unique ways. (The Anna Karenina principle). You really need to hone on your weaknessness and eliminate them with extreme prejudice. This is the same advice at all score levels ( -_-) but it's much harder when you're scoring at your level because your weaknesses )1 aren't obvious, and 2) May not be evident to you as actual weaknesses. I recommend bringing your reading skills to the next level by always reading for structure , honing your reasoning by focusing on the argument core (I use the "takes for granted" or "fails to consider" tools for that) and methodically drilling your weaknessnes so you can simply your thought process to pick up momentum and precious time to use on the most difficult questions.

This link should also help for more specifics:

http://lsatters.com/forums/topic/advice-on-extreme-drilling-for-top-scorers/

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me. Also, best of luck on that Ruby and the Windy City! ?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
    104 karma
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Yes, you can absolutely hit a 175+ if you put in the work. Honestly, at least in my opinion, this test isn't that hard and just requires a lot of time and practice. If you can hit above a 165-170 range, you have what it takes to reach the next level. It will be harder and take a lot of patience, practice, and work, but if you're willing to put the time in, you can do it!

• TiresiasEnVivoTiresiasEnVivo Free Trial Member
    15 karma

Thank you for your responses. @ajcrowel thanks for pointing me to that link-super helpful.