yo-yo scoring on PT :(

in General 103 karma

Hey all,
i am having trouble. I have been PT-ing for 4 weeks not, consistently scoring in upper 160's, but sometimes i dip down to low 160's. never lower then that, but I also have not broken 170 yet, i am just stuck in the 160's. i am upset because today I scored a 160, after scoring a 165 two nights before. My BR scores are ridiculously high, somewhere like 172-177 generally. I'm not sure what to do and getting ridiculously discouraged because of today's PT score. I do take breaks, I am healthy when it comes to studying so I know it's not my method. But, I posted before and someone said that I am missing those curve breaker questions so i started to slow down in my sections, but I find that i am scoring lower now? thoughts or suggestions on how to actually reach my BR score? or just stop yo-yoing with my score? I want to have a consistent PT average to accurately predict where I am going to score at on test day.
thanks!

Comments

• Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6867 karma

Inconsistency stems from poor fundamentals. Scoring lower when you slow down means you're not getting questions right even when you have extra time to think about them, and that's very very bad. Put it this way - if you answered questions with a 100% accuracy rate, you'd only have to get through 20 questions per section to nail a consistent 164-165. That's a LOT of slowing down.

If your score is suffering when you slow down, that's the surest sign that your skills are at issue - you're relying on shotgunning out 100 responses at ~80% confidence instead of putting out 80 responses at 100% confidence. While the expected value on both is the same, one of those options has a huge variance and one of them does not.

Some more perspective - when you score 160, you're missing ~25 questions. That's a quarter of the test. Unless you think a quarter of the test is made up of curve breakers, that's not the real issue.

Finally, if your target is an upper-160s score (call it 168, halfway between 166 and 170), 172 is not a good blind review score. You have literally unlimited time - like, spend all day on a single question kind of time. If you're looking to crack the top echelon of LSAT takers, getting 8-10 questions wrong even with unlimited time on your side simply isn't going to cut it. Being theoretically capable of doing something isn't enough - you have to literally be able to see something and snap-recognize it. Even on the questions you're getting right, are you nailing that degree of confidence?

I don't mean to disparage your efforts - really, even "just" a 160 is quite a good score in the grand scheme of things - but no 'tips' will get you past a fundamental skills gap. Your consistency will improve when your underlying skills improve. There's no other way.

• 103 karma

@"Jonathan Wang" thank you so much! Much needed reality check! I really appreciate the response. It's back to the cc, making sure i've got everything down and fool proofing for me! thank you again!

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

@"Jonathan Wang" Thanks for your advice. Very insightful.