Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Relationships in logic games - 7Sage Forum

Relationships in logic games

mzoodlemzoodle Member
in Logic Games 226 karma

Guys, am I understanding this correctly? Basically, the letters in lg have a relationship only if they are mentioned in the rules, ie, “this comes before that..”. But have no relationship if they are not mentioned?

Comments

• Achen165Achen165 Member
    edited July 2017 656 karma

It doesn't necessarily mean that they have no relationship; in a LG all elements share some relationship, rather, multiple possible relationships via positioning arrangements. This is contingent upon the assumption that in said logic game, all elements are utilized, as in some games, not all elements that are listed in the stimuli are incorporated into a permissible form of a completed game board sequence.

If you cannot link them in a chain, they are characterized as '"free floater's" whose position is generally not pre-determined by the rules that are presented; I say generally, as it may be the case that you link the elements and though not mentioned explicitly in a rule, it falls into only one possible place in the sequence. For example, if you have 6 slots, 6 elements, and rules that correspond to 5 of the elements, by default, the 6th may assume a fixed position. This depends on what sort of inferences you can draw from the rules.

• Harrison_PavHarrison_Pav Alum Member
    edited July 2017 218 karma

Well that depends on the game. For example a game may have six pieces-A,B,C,D,E,F- arranged 1-6 that are either Red, Green, or Blue. There is one piece per spot.

Then two rules could read

-A,B,and C are all red, and D and E are green
    -If a piece is Red it will not be first. If a piece is green it will not be first.

The rules never said anything about F or blue, but you know based on those two rules put together that the first spot is Blue and is F.

A game will never be that simple unfortunately, but there will definitely be inference such as that that will need to be pushed out.

Sometimes there usually floater items that don't have any rules pertaining to them, (these are pretty common in a loose sequencing game) where A-B-C-D-E. In a game like this F would be free to float where ever it wanted 1-6. I hope think helped!

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8700 karma

If by letters you mean the variables i.e. the items we are categorizing in a specific way, then you are not correct in the assertion. Our variables can indeed have relationships to other variables that are explicitly stated, but our variables can also have relationships to both other variables and our game board that are implicitly stated.

So, for example if we had a 5 space sequencing game board and I told you that J was before X and then I told you that M must be in spot 5. From a combination of those two rules we can deduce the following explicitly stated understanding:
    J----X
    M5

But we can also deduce the following:
    X is never in spot 1
    J is never in spot 4
    J never touches M

Learn to put rules together through watching the explanations on 7Sage and fool proofing.

David

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@BinghamtonDave said:
    If by letters you mean the variables i.e. the items we are categorizing in a specific way, then you are not correct in the assertion. Our variables can indeed have relationships to other variables that are explicitly stated, but our variables can also have relationships to both other variables and our game board that are implicitly stated.

So, for example if we had a 5 space sequencing game board and I told you that J was before X and then I told you that M must be in spot 5. From a combination of those two rules we can deduce the following explicitly stated understanding:
    J----X
    M5

But we can also deduce the following:
    X is never in spot 1
    J is never in spot 4
    J never touches M

Learn to put rules together through watching the explanations on 7Sage and fool proofing.

David

This. Dave I've said it before, but you are an LG god amongst us mortals. Please do a webinar on your LSAT LG journey one of these days. Also, have you considered tutoring?

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8700 karma

@"Alex Divine" thank you so much for the kind words. When I get back to studying full time, I will hopefully put something together to give thanks to this great community.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@BinghamtonDave said:
    @"Alex Divine" thank you so much for the kind words. When I get back to studying full time, I will hopefully put something together to give thanks to this great community.

Awesome! I sincerely cannot wait, my brother! :)