Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

4 or 5 sectioned PTs?

apawalterapawalter Member
in General 357 karma

Hey all!

So currently I've only been doing 4 sectioned PT's and I want to take the September LSAT so I'm wondering if I should be doing 5 sectioned PTs instead (maybe even with the writing sample)? Or if I should just continue doing 4 sectioned PT's or maybe just do a couple of 5 sectioned PTs?

Do you all typically do 4 or 5 sectioned PTs?

Thanks everyone, hope you're all well :)

Comments

• hhhiser_06hhhiser_06 Alum Member
    46 karma

@apawalter, I take five section timed PTs to help build stamina for the actual test experience. I recommend using an older exam and just split it apart for each PT that way you can get used to having an extra LG, LR, and RC section which is more reflective of the actual test. Good luck!

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

No to the writing section... For added sections Its debatable. Depends on you. And there are 4 basic camps of thought.

One LSAT camp feels adrenaline will carry you through. So you don't need to do 5s or maybe just once.

Another feels you should do at least some and based on how you do incorporate more or less.

I personally have and do 5s with by breaking down tests so I'll d 4 5 sections but actually get 5 tests to score. It makes me take the 5s more seriously and Ive been doing it that way for years.

Yet another camp.... is the 6 section camp. No its not adding the writing sample its actually 6 sections, done the same way as the 5 but at the end you have 6 tests. I used to think this camp was crazy, but did this for June (I only had a 2 weeks to prepare) and I think it really helped my test anxiety. And helped my stamina issues.

Finally there are the 2 a days... which someone else posted here recently found valuable... it's what it sounds like 2 LSATs in a day. This seems to work best with people consistently in the low to mid 170s to get to the high end.

BUT you have to understand your motovoation for doing more than 4 sections. If its just to do more sections, drill instead, if its for stamina ok, confidence building sure. Just have a plan as to what you're doing it for. Blindly or just doing test to tests is never good.

Before you take you should do at least one so you know what it feels like but unless you are reviewing your test properly and then drilling your weaknesses it doesn't matter.

• dantlee14dantlee14 Free Trial Member
    617 karma

I'm in the camp that believes taking 5 section-PTs is not necessary. I took the LSAT twice, and neither time did I feel that stamina/endurance or focus at the end of the test were issues. You'll be wired and full of nervous energy for the full 4-5 hours on test day. Doing 5 sections once or twice to get the feel could be useful, but I think it overcomplicates things and makes it tougher to score your own PTs.

• apawalterapawalter Member
    357 karma

Thanks for the input @hhhiser_06, @stepharizona and @dantlee14 , really appreciate it :smile:

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I plan to do a mixture. I think there's two ways to look at it: You can do more 4 section tests or less 5 section tests. They both have advantages. Honestly there are enough tests at this point that I don't think adding in experimental sections take away too much material. People have also argued that they take all their experimental tests and score them as a normal test after they've used up all 5 sections. I've wondered if that's an accurate gauge of your score considering you did them all as part of separate tests, separate times, and a whole other slew of variables likely thrown in.

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

I would say that why I think a 5/6 with real sections to create a whole test is valuable.

You never know what is coming at you on test day and ideally you'll perform consistently no matter what. For me it's been valuable especially to see weakness I may not realize I have.

It also gives me confidence I can perform under best and worst case scenerios. That's just me. I struggle with stamina and confidence issues and for me it's been helpful. But for others it can be a horrible experience. That's why you have to figure out what works for you.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@stepharizona said:
    I would say that why I think a 5/6 with real sections to create a whole test is valuable.

You never know what is coming at you on test day and ideally you'll perform consistently no matter what. For me it's been valuable especially to see weakness I may not realize I have.

It also gives me confidence I can perform under best and worst case scenerios. That's just me. I struggle with stamina and confidence issues and for me it's been helpful. But for others it can be a horrible experience. That's why you have to figure out what works for you.

Couldn't agree more. I've done few PTs, but I have done 5 sections many times ina row and have no stamina issues. So I think for me, I'll mostly do 4 sections tests and maybe 10 or so full 5 section tests. I may change my mind. The more I learn about myself and this test, the less dogmatic I become in my thoughts.