Just Curious - How did JY start teaching?

tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
in General 3679 karma

I just finished my first LG lesson with 7Sage and WOW. I've tried learning Logic Games under other programs and they were AWFUL. Then comes JY and his mastery for all things logic and it just clicks. I've become more confident in LG in the last hour than I have in the 2 months I spent studying other lessons. So now I'm just curious -how/when did JY start tutoring? Did he just realize he had a knack for teaching and the rest was history? He truly has a gift and I'm just thankful I'm learning the LSAT in the age of 7Sage.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

JY is a pedagogical god amongst us mortals. Nobody knows the true story for sure rumor has it..... well .... Some mysteries are better left unsolved.

All we know is he and 7Sage have made LSAT prep accessible to so many who otherwise couldn't afford it. Not only is it accessible, it's the best there is!

I am also extremely grateful and indebted to all JY has done for us Sagers.

thankyou #7sage #blessed <3

• -ObbuddO--ObbuddO- Alum Member
    236 karma

You know, I first thought the title was "Jesus Christ - How did JY start teaching?" and I came in hoping to find something shocking.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@nOtsodOpekid said:
    You know, I first thought the title was "Jesus Christ - How did JY start teaching?" and I came in hoping to find something shocking.

Hahaha! Sorry to disappoint like @"Alex Divine" said I'm beginning to believe JY is some sort of mythical oracle and his origins will forever be unknown.

3679 karma

... also is JY a nickname? If so what for? Again more questions a mere mortal like me dare not understand...

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited July 2017 9377 karma

This article is worth a read <3

Ms. JD Pre-Law: Interview with J.Y. Ping, founder of 7Sage and PreProBono

http://ms-jd.org/blog/article/jy-ping-7sage
    When you were a senior at Columbia, you founded PreProBono, a nonprofit that offers free LSAT prep to public-interest minded pre-law students who are women, economically disadvantaged or minorities. (Applications for the 2017 PreProBono Fellowship are now open and close on March 20, 2017.) At what point in your own LSAT studying, did you decide to start teaching it—and then scale up into a nonprofit?
    J.Y.: I first taught LSAT in my senior year. I had finished up my own LSAT and my girlfriend at the time was prepping for hers. I helped her. By that time, I had discovered my inclination towards teaching already. I remember having to figure out like an entire semester of Macro Economics and then explain it to my friends as we crammed for finals. I loved it. By the time I got to law school, as a project for the above mentioned Prime Produce, I decided to put together and run a session of PreProBono because it was exciting to do something new and all my own. At the end of the 16 hour weekend workshop – we only had a dozen or so attendees – some students came up to thank me, like very sincerely thank me, for teaching them for free. That connection felt good. So I thought I wanted to keep doing it. For the next three years, I spent more time on PreProBono than I did on my classwork.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited July 2017 23929 karma

@akistotle said:

When you were a senior at Columbia, you founded PreProBono, a nonprofit that offers free LSAT prep to public-interest minded pre-law students who are women, economically disadvantaged or minorities. (Applications for the 2017 PreProBono Fellowship are now open and close on March 20, 2017.) At what point in your own LSAT studying, did you decide to start teaching it—and then scale up into a nonprofit?
    J.Y.: I first taught LSAT in my senior year. I had finished up my own LSAT and my girlfriend at the time was prepping for hers. I helped her. By that time, I had discovered my inclination towards teaching already. I remember having to figure out like an entire semester of Macro Economics and then explain it to my friends as we crammed for finals. I loved it. By the time I got to law school, as a project for the above mentioned Prime Produce, I decided to put together and run a session of PreProBono because it was exciting to do something new and all my own. At the end of the 16 hour weekend workshop – we only had a dozen or so attendees – some students came up to thank me, like very sincerely thank me, for teaching them for free. That connection felt good. So I thought I wanted to keep doing it. For the next three years, I spent more time on PreProBono than I did on my classwork.

That's the "official" story, sure, but..... the the real story; the magic; the power of the seven sages seem to be missing. It's clear JY is an LSAT superhero of some sort. :)

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@akistotle said:

That's the "official" story, sure, but..... the the real story; the magic; the power of the seven sages seem to be missing. It's clear JY is an LSAT superhero of some sort. :)

Oh yea totally. The real origin story remains to be a mystery.

• Harrison_PavHarrison_Pav Alum Member
    218 karma

"It's clear JY is an LSAT superhero of some sort." @"Alex Divine" has perhaps stumbled upon the greatest lsat mystery that has plagued us.

This is all too real. No one man can have a full mastery of the logic that is required for the reasoning on this forsaken test. My view of JY is similar to that of Arnold Schwarzenegger from Terminator three. The good Terminator (JY Schwarzenegger) has been sent back in time by the resistance (Dillon Wright) to fight against the evils of Sky Net (all other LSAT prep which represent the evil terminator). He has been charged with the mission to protect young John Connor (all of us planning on taking the lsat), in an attempt to show the LSAC (humanity in this analogy) that mere men will not be taken down without a final stand. Viva La Resistance!!!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Harrison_Pav said:
    "It's clear JY is an LSAT superhero of some sort." @"Alex Divine" has perhaps stumbled upon the greatest lsat mystery that has plagued us.

This is all too real. No one man can have a full mastery of the logic that is required for the reasoning on this forsaken test. My view of JY is similar to that of Arnold Schwarzenegger from Terminator three. The good Terminator (JY Schwarzenegger) has been sent back in time by the resistance (Dillon Wright) to fight against the evils of Sky Net (all other LSAT prep which represent the evil terminator). He has been charged with the mission to protect young John Connor (all of us planning on taking the lsat), in an attempt to show the LSAC (humanity in this analogy) that mere men will not be taken down without a final stand. Viva La Resistance!!!

It's all possible... We just don't know.

That said, Harvard Law School should present JY with some type of amazing award for giving back to the legal community. Without 7Sage, I can name 10 people off the top of my head who wouldn't be afford to properly prep for this exam. And those are just a few friends and peeps from here and TLS. From the free YT LG explanations alone it is clear that he's helping thousands of people for free! The man should be sainted...

3679 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@Harrison_Pav said:

That said, Harvard Law School should present JY with some type of amazing award for giving back to the legal community. Without 7Sage, I can name 10 people off the top of my head who wouldn't be afford to properly prep for this exam. And those are just a few friends and peeps from here and TLS. From the free YT LG explanations alone it is clear that he's helping thousands of people for free! The man should be sainted...

If you count me you can name 11! JY and the whole team (Dillon, David everyone) are creating future lawyers that wouldn't otherwise be and I think it's so cool they are paying it forward.

3679 karma

@Harrison_Pav said:

Haha! This all seems accurate.

3679 karma

@akistotle said:

*gasp! Some of the mystery solved!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited July 2017 23929 karma

@tringo335 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@Harrison_Pav said:

If you count me you can name 11! JY and the whole team (Dillon, David everyone) are creating future lawyers that wouldn't otherwise be and I think it's so cool they are paying it forward.

Absolutely! It is truly an amazing thing and I am so thankful every single day. Even though I don't fit in as much time for prep as I'd ideally like, I really love the community and support on here. It is truly a big part of what keeps me going.