Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Law School in Australia & finding employment in Canada/US

Hello! I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the process of attending law school in Australia and returning back to Canada/US for employment after graduating. I have read that certain states (CA + NY) are more friendly to international law students when they return back to pursue a legal career. As well, I have become aware to how more Canadian students attend school in Australia for law and return back to Canada to take some written exams before they can officially become a lawyer.

Does anyone have any more information about the process of attending law school internationally before coming back to practice in North America? Thanks!

Comments

• LsatbreakingnewsLsatbreakingnews Alum Member
    edited July 2017 392 karma

Two main things I know are that you will have to write national accreditation (NCA) exams when you come back to Canada (not sure how many). When looking for an articling position in Canada there will be stigma attached to your Australian law degree. You will be at a clear disadvantage when it comes to finding articling positions in Canada. It's best that you just go to school in Canada if you can get in.

• Ann MarieAnn Marie Alum Member
    72 karma

As far as I am concerned, there are at least two important factors in the question you raised. First, whether you have the citizenship of CA/US. Second, how is your own background. You may notice there are people who attend school in Australia but back to CA/US after graduation, those people usually have some strong ties back there. Personally I know a girl, a US citizen, who graduated from UNSW in Sydney and went back to DC and started clerkship in a court. So I believe there is workable way, but vary from person to person.