Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited August 2017 9372 karma

Wow...I knew this was coming, but I don't know what to say now. Is 7Sage launching its GRE course soon?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@akistotle said:
    Wow...I knew this was coming, but I don't know what to say now. Is 7Sage launching its GRE course soon?

I hope not, lol. Then I'll have to sign up and master both tests ;)

Good for GT, though. Hopefully this will help them back into the T14 ranks.

9372 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@akistotle said:

Me (to everything what 7Sage offers):
    https://media.giphy.com/media/vk6MA8yIfmqhW/giphy.gif

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

:love: :joy: Yep ... basically, haha.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Not a fan of this.

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

I'm married to the LSAT, but the GRE does seem like a worthy mistress.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Maybe lsat will have an easier curve now to attract more test takers to come back... just kidding. If only..

edited August 2017 9372 karma

@Freddy_D said:

Let's hope that LSAT gods decide to give us all 180s to prevent us from being unfaithful.
    https://media.tenor.com/images/ab347bcff0bfc477fa8265f779f4026c/tenor.gif

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    Maybe lsat will have an easier curve now to attract more test takers to come back... just kidding. If only..

:( if only... lol

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

@akistotle said:

@Freddy_D said:

Let's hope that LSAT gods decide to give us all 180s to prevent us from being unfaithful.

From your lips to God's ears

• Maddie D.Maddie D. Alum Member
    325 karma

@akistotle said:

@Freddy_D said:

https://media.tenor.com/images/ab347bcff0bfc477fa8265f779f4026c/tenor.gif

This is what I need from the LSAT gods :lol: That GRE score I have sitting around feels awfully tempting right about now.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@akistotle said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@akistotle said:

Me (to everything what 7Sage offers):
    https://media.giphy.com/media/vk6MA8yIfmqhW/giphy.gif

Basically. lol

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

Winter (for LSAT) is coming:)

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I can't open the article. Is Georgetown's change next cycle like Northwestern or this cycle like Harvard?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    I can't open the article. Is Georgetown's change next cycle like Northwestern or this cycle like Harvard?

GT is going to be accepting GRE scores this cycle from what I've read.

4423 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

Thanks,
    Alex.

If the LSAT falls and everyone hears it will my chances fall too?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

Thanks,
    Alex.

Haha! I'm actually not sure on that one. All I know is the LSAT isn't going anywhere so we don't even have to worry about that happening. :joy:

• rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    1063 karma

Worried about this myself... Honestly, this may very likely be the case. I mean people have taken the GRE this cycle. The essay process for law school is nothing compared to PhD programs. I wonder if some people will just say, what the hell, I'll apply to a couple law schools and send in their apps with no intention of going. Might that screw up admissions? Might they then decide to go if they get money? So many unknowns. I guess the best we can do is just throw our hats in the rings.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@RafaelBernard said:

Worried about this myself... Honestly, this may very likely be the case. I mean people have taken the GRE this cycle. The essay process for law school is nothing compared to PhD programs. I wonder if some people will just say, what the hell, I'll apply to a couple law schools and send in their apps with no intention of going. Might that screw up admissions? Might they then decide to go if they get money? So many unknowns. I guess the best we can do is just throw our hats in the rings.

Going forward, especially after this upcoming application cycle, it seems that the applicant pool may become wider and more competitive. I'm not sure if this will bode well for the legal job market down the line, given how saturated it already is.

4423 karma

@RafaelBernard said:

I'm a 3.78 and 172 right now, retaking for a higher LSAT. I want the higher LSAT for rwo reasons, to give me a decent shot Harvard and to make other schools give me scholarships to keep me from going to a place like Harvard.

So I'm of two minds on this right now. First I'm definitely applying this year before more schools do this kind of thing (Northwestern and who knows how many others). That is a relief.

However, I'm afraid it's going to let Harvard look for higher GPA's at the expense of my application this cycle. I doubt it, since it's still an experiment they should keep small. But the effect does not have to be huge to hurt me. Harvard's 25th GPA has generally been creeping up from and is currently a 3.76. So I better get good grades in the fall and maybe an LSAT near their 75th.

This is going to be bad for splitters and even applicants with numbers like mine who never quite thought of themselves as splitters. But selfishly, I'm hoping that for just one more cycle the status quo generally holds.

Which it should. Even if Harvard ditches some lowish GPA's like me and Georgetown gives us less good scholarships, it seems unlikely that other schools will alter their merit aid strategy preemptively.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited August 2017 13286 karma

@"Seeking Perfection"

As a super splitter hearing all of this kind of sucks. The LSAT use to be the metric where people like me could make up lost ground. Now it seems the test is becoming almost diluted in a sense. I'm on the same boat as you. I want the status quo to hold this cycle purely for selfish reasons.

(by super splitter I mean 2.7 cumulative GPA, 4.0 degree gpa, and a roughly 169-170 LSAT)

4423 karma

@LSATcantwin

Now I want the LSAT's power to outshine GPAs to last for more than just my own selfish reasons.

I want it to last for you, too.

P.S.
    Nice degree GPA. Law schools might not care much, but that still took work and ability.

• dfletch5dfletch5 Alum Member
    260 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    @"Seeking Perfection"

As a super splitter hearing all of this kind of sucks. The LSAT use to be the metric where people like me could make up lost ground. Now it seems the test is becoming almost diluted in a sense. I'm on the same boat as you. I want the status quo to hold this cycle purely for selfish reasons.

(by super splitter I mean 2.7 cumulative GPA, 4.0 degree gpa, and a roughly 169-170 LSAT)

@LSATcantwin
    Let's chill for a bit. All hope is not lost. Work on killing the LSAT for now. Your 90th percentile score will not be overlooked simply because the GRE Verbal is at play. You will still be better prepared for law school than students who took only the GRE. After taking the LSAT, take a GRE Verbal practice test and see how you do. You might amaze yourself and score in the 90th percentile there as well. Still, first things first. Finish your LSAT prep and kill it! Give it everything you've got!

13286 karma

@"Seeking Perfection"

It did, I started college right after high school and was not ready. Got a ton of D's and F's. I then joined the Marine Corps and found motivation, direction and matured a bit. Returned to school and finished with a 4.0.

I just hope schools can see that the person I was, is NOT the person I am now.

@dfletch5

It's hard not to worry with a 2.7 cumulative gpa haha. I have dedicated myself to all things LSAT and am knocking on the 170's door right now. I don't plan on stopping. I need that score in order to get into the schools I want.

• annewr253annewr253 Alum Member
    439 karma

@LSATcantwin I consider myself a super splitter as well and I am completely here with you but I think @dfletch5 made a very good point. Let's just continue to put in work with prep and I am confident that a 170+ will not be disregarded, especially with whatever soft factors considered.

13286 karma

@attalla253 said:
    @LSATcantwin I consider myself a super splitter as well and I am completely here with you but I think @dfletch5 made a very good point. Let's just continue to put in work with prep and I am confident that a 170+ will not be disregarded, especially with whatever soft factors considered.

I am trying my best haha. The LSAT has been my focus since Feb and I haven't slowed down!

• rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    edited August 2017 1063 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    @"Seeking Perfection"

It did, I started college right after high school and was not ready. Got a ton of D's and F's. I then joined the Marine Corps and found motivation, direction and matured a bit. Returned to school and finished with a 4.0.

I just hope schools can see that the person I was, is NOT the person I am now.

@dfletch5

It's hard not to worry with a 2.7 cumulative gpa haha. I have dedicated myself to all things LSAT and am knocking on the 170's door right now. I don't plan on stopping. I need that score in order to get into the schools I want.

I also selfishly hope the LSAT maintains its esteem for at least this cycle. But as was mentioned above, a good LSAT score right now is still a good thing. You have to take one test or the other. In either one, you'll need a good score. So if you've made it this far on the LSAT (high 160s, low 170s) you might as well keep going. I'm in the same boat. Not a big splitter but below the 25th at H. We'll see...

It sucks to think that LSAC could have probably avoided all of this. Bet they hate themselves right now.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

lol welp

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

wow that really sucks... such a significant drop :(

13286 karma

@TheMikey said:

@LSATcantwin said:

wow that really sucks... such a significant drop :(

Shot myself in the foot when I was younger, and am now trying to run the full speed race with a limp! haha

• dfletch5dfletch5 Alum Member
    260 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@LSATcantwin
    Check out Shawn's article on recommenders at
    https://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/law-admissions-lowdown/2011/12/27/5-mistakes-to-avoid-when-requesting-law-school-recommendations

He graduated from HLS and HBS. Pay attention to the part that says, "I've seen countless students overcome low GPAs...with powerful recommendations that helped them get into top-14 law schools of their choice."

13286 karma

@dfletch5 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@LSATcantwin
    Check out Shawn's article on recommenders at
    https://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/law-admissions-lowdown/2011/12/27/5-mistakes-to-avoid-when-requesting-law-school-recommendations

He graduated from HLS and HBS. Pay attention to the part that says, "I've seen countless students overcome low GPAs...with powerful recommendations that helped them get into top-14 law schools of their choice."

Interesting. I am seated in a unique position where one of these types of letters is within my grasp. I have a few individuals whom I can ask for this. I'll have to begin weighing my options for my second LOR...

• tuc28290tuc28290 Alum Member
    103 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    @"Seeking Perfection"

very similar boat. although it 100% goes against my ideaology / vision for the future, i totally hope good LSAT scores remain as exclusive & unattainable as ever in this cycle, as i have put my everything into studying for this dang test over the last 2 yrs. love the term super splitter. i am working w/ a 3.1 gpa (graduated 4 yrs ago),a URM, and PTing around 165. can taste 170+ come september. i also am 1000% set on being accepted to (multiple) t14s, (& w/ money. well ..that part i am a little less than 1000% on lol). but i'm also an extremely positive person, but think (know) that that influences my generally good outcomes/achievements in life (motivates me to continue to work hard, etc.)

if schools did this in a actually truly helpful way, they would announce that they'll start accepting the GREs 3 or 5 yrs out. so people like us aren't stuck in this situation, AND so people w/ great GREs really have time to think thru theo decision of applying/going to law school.

but alas, we got this. we'll kick ass and one day will look back and this will all be..funny (somehow).

• KateelaineKateelaine Alum Member
    172 karma

I'm pretty sure taking the GRE is just a racket to get more applicants and thereby boost rankings. I had to take the GRE for my last master's degree (including the subject test), and it's a pretty ridiculous test. I remember from my prep for the GRE that while it is supposed to predict how well one will perform in grad school, it usually isn't an accurate predictor of one's success. Also, it isn't really a test that looks for logical capabilities. Unlike the LSAT which is strictly logical and there is one definitively correct answer, and four wrong answers, the GRE runs off of "the most right answer" methodology of questions. One of the reasons people don't need that much time to adequately prepare for the GRE (unlike the LSAT in which preparation is partly just learning how to think) is because most of the prep just comes down to test-taking strategies and learning what the GRE does to trip up test takers. As in, GRE prep is to help a person learn how to take the GRE, but does not require one to learn how to think logically and prove one's ability to apply that logic to questions. I predict the GRE option for law school admissions will be short lived.

Side note: when Harvard announced it was going to accept the GRE for law school, one of their reasons was to be "more inclusive" (or was it diverse?) in the application process. Ironically, for years the GRE has been under fire for NOT being inclusive and favoring wealthier people who can afford the prep, putting minorities and lower-income applicants at a disadvantage.