Random Drop in Score - Outlier???

mel_emm8mel_emm8 Free Trial Member
in General 39 karma

Someone please please tell me this is just an anomaly and that everything is going to be okay lol (seriously freaking out here)

I scored a 157 today on PT #69, my lowest score since the second week of May (when I started studying).

When I started studying I was consistently in the low 160s and now I have been consistently scoring in the mid 160s for the past month or so, and so I feel a bit blindsided by this score, especially because I felt confident about the LR sections and I got 16/25 on one and 20/25 on the other. I kind of knew I messed up on the LG section as I ran out of time (which hasn't happened in months). I feel like it may be because I've been super tired this week and I wrote the test after an 8 hour work shift, but it'd be nice to hear some reassurance!

Also, if this happened to you, any advice on where to go from here?

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Ignore it and move on. Seriously, all it's going to do is hurt you to linger on a low score. Blind review, look at what you missed, learn from the mistakes and move on. Everyone see fluctuations in score. It could be something as simple as being tired, to burn out, to a hard test. Dwelling on a single bad score won't help you improve. It happens to everyone

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@mel_explainable said:
    Someone please please tell me this is just an anomaly and that everything is going to be okay lol (seriously freaking out here)

I scored a 157 today on PT #69, my lowest score since the second week of May (when I started studying).

When I started studying I was consistently in the low 160s and now I have been consistently scoring in the mid 160s for the past month or so, and so I feel a bit blindsided by this score, especially because I felt confident about the LR sections and I got 16/25 on one and 20/25 on the other. I kind of knew I messed up on the LG section as I ran out of time (which hasn't happened in months). I feel like it may be because I've been super tired this week and I wrote the test after an 8 hour work shift, but it'd be nice to hear some reassurance!

Also, if this happened to you, any advice on where to go from here?

Don't freak out! It is perfectly normal and there seems to be some really good reasons as to why this happened. First, you say that you've been super tired and wrote the test after an 8-hour shift working. That's absolutely going to have an impact on your performance. Secondly, and perhaps as a result of the first problem, you ran out of time on games. Last to consider is that some tests just play to our weaknesses more than our strengths. If there are certain types of LR questions you were weak on (e.g. conditional heavy stims, NA/Flaw, etc.) and you get more of these on a particular test, then it can certainly lead to a minor score drop. Clearly from what you've written this isn't a regular occurrence for you. Not sure what happened with LR, but again, if you were super tired then I suppose that's a good enough reason as any why you didn't do as well as you expected. When you consider all of these things I think it is safe to say this test was an outlier.

This has definitely happened to me and plenty of us studying for the LSAT. A bad day is bound to happen and that's perfectly fine. These tests aren't what count so don't beat yourself up over it.
    I think the best thing to do is to get some rest and make sure you're in a good mindset before you blind review or take another test. Once you're rested then you should BR and do everything you can to understand each and every question on the test that you missed.