Problem Set Questions - LR

I'm finding myself getting -1 or -2 wrong for some of the (LR)... Even though for the majority of the ones I am getting incorrect, I understand the reasoning for the answer choice and why the right one is the correct choice and why the wrong answer choices are incorrect, but I still end up going with the incorrect answer choice... It's almost a letdown because it makes me question my abilities and doing really well on the LSAT. Is it because I may not have as much confidence in myself?

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

It could be a lot of things. I have a similar problem, and I think most people do. It can come down to confidence, time, misreading, not clearly understanding the argument, being distracted, tired the list goes on and on.

What is important is to try and stay consistent. If there is one type of LR problem you miss more than another (NA/SA/Flaw/MSS etc) why is that tripping you up?

Is it the harder 5 star questions that are causing you to trip? Is it because you don't have enough time to spend on them and really get at the core of the argument?

Just know everyone has issues like this, it's common to miss 1-2 a section, or more, even for people who consistently score 170+.

A great example, my last PT I took. I went -2 on LG, -5 on one LR. That's already 7 missed questions oh god!

but then my last two sections were -1 and -0 and ended up with a 173. It happens! Don't lose confidence in yourself, we're human and errors happen!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Like @LSATcantwin said, it could be many things.

The first thing I'd recommend doing is figuring out if there is a pattern to the question types which you are missing.

I've found that by using my iPhone to record my timed sections/PTs, I am much easier able to go through the footage and more objectively evaluate myself and figure out why I'm missing problems. If I see myself quickly eliminate 3 answer choices and then get stuck between two I can return to the question and try to figure out why I was stuck between those two. Other times when I get stuck and can't eliminate more than 1-2 answer choices, it is an indicator that I've probably misread or misunderstood something in the stimulus.

To be honest, I can't recommend recording yourself taking sections enough. It's probably been the most helpful thing for my prep since I found 7Sage!