PT13.S4.Q05 - planetary bodies differ from

elle_satelle_sat Alum Member
edited August 2017 in Logical Reasoning 98 karma

Can someone please share with me the formal logic? I can't seem to arrive at the correct answer.

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited August 2017 13286 karma

First lets figure out what the conditional statements are;

1.) Unless the core of such a planetary body generates enough heat to cause volcanic action, the surface of that body will not be renewed for millions of years.

• Unless - We negate an idea and make it the sufficient.

/CHV -> SNRM

2.) Any planetary body with a solid surface whose surface is not renewed for millions of years becomes heavily pockmarked with meteorite craters.

• Any - introduces sufficient.

SNRM -> HPC

We can link these statements;

/CHV -> SNRM -> HPC

Negation;

/HPC -> /SNRM -> CHV

Okay so what else does the stimulus give us? Well it gives us an example of an old planetary body that is cold, which is not marked by craters.

Europa is not heavily pockmarked by meteorite craters (/HPC) so then it's surface is renewed before millions of years. Since its surface is renewed before millions of years, than the core of Europa must generate enough heat to cause volcanic action.

So answer choice E must be true.

E.) Some very cold planetary body's (Europa) have cores that generate enough heat to cause volcanic action.

The key here is the negation of the entire linked conditional chain. That negation leads us to the correct answer.

Note: It's also important to remember that "SOME" means "at least 1"

• elle_satelle_sat Alum Member
    98 karma

You mean E right? :smile:
    Ahhh. It clicked! Definitely one for me to come back to in a few days! Thank you!

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@elle_sat said:
    You mean E right? :smile:
    Ahhh. It clicked! Definitely one for me to come back to in a few days! Thank you!

Omg I am so sorry. YES E.