PT72.S2.Q16 - many great art works

nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
edited August 2017 in Logical Reasoning 1723 karma

Im in the middle of BRing and i like AC E bc how does the author know that having so much artwork that can satisfy every taste imaginable will affect someones aesthetic fulfilment.
But AC D... does the author have to assume there is such a scenario? That some people have access to the contemporarys work and not others? Is it the word "many" that disqualifies it? Thoughts?

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-72-section-2-question-16/

Comments

• Sarah889Sarah889 Alum Member
    877 karma

Take a moment and think about the argument itself without referring to the ACs. The author is telling us that because there exists "more great artworks in the world than any human being could appreciate in a lifetime, works capable of satisfying virtually any taste imaginable", then any contemporary artist cannot conclude that their works enable many people to feel aesthetically fulfilled than they otherwise could.

What is missing from this? Well, just because X amount of art exists, does not mean that I can readily go and appreciate any piece of art I want to. Maybe my specific tastes are most prevalent in a wealthy man's private art gallery in Italy. The fact that they exist doesn't really do me any good, now does it? So in order for the author's argument to stand, he/she is relying on the possibility for me to just hop on a plane, fly to Italy and trespass on this wealthy man's private property in order to derive my aesthetic fulfillment from his artwork.

Realizing that, take another look at D and E.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

As @bswise2 hinted, (D) is correct. Although the stimulus changes terms, they are basically the same, and don't leave a gap in the argument. To "satisfy" an artistic taste is to say that the person with that taste is aesthetically fulfilled.