Personal Statement Topic - HELP

andrewpete93andrewpete93 Free Trial Member

Hello 7sagers - good luck to those taking the upcoming September LSAT! I'm having some trouble coming up with a personal statement topic. Does talking about my college athletic career and the characteristics/traits its developed in me an overused topic? I've thought about taking the angle of how I went into college with an idea of how my career would turn out, how it didn't, and what I learned from that and how it lead me to pursue a legal career. Thoughts?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@andrewpete93 said:
    Hello 7sagers - good luck to those taking the upcoming September LSAT! I'm having some trouble coming up with a personal statement topic. Does talking about my college athletic career and the characteristics/traits its developed in me an overused topic? I've thought about taking the angle of how I went into college with an idea of how my career would turn out, how it didn't, and what I learned from that and how it lead me to pursue a legal career. Thoughts?

It's all going to be in what you specifically include, how you write it, and how you portray yourself. It could be considered a somewhat cliché topic, but if it is well written, then I think this sounds like a good possibility.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I agree with alex, it could be seen as cliché, but I would just like to add that no matter what the topic, try to add something that is unique to you. something that will set you apart from other applicants with a PS topic like yours. Maybe read some PS's similar to what you might want to do to see how you can set yourself apart while still holding onto that topic.

best of luck!

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    edited August 2017 2983 karma

Alex and Mikey are WRONG! * Trump voice *

JK :wink: . I agree with both of them. The way you tell your story is what matters most.

• andrewpete93andrewpete93 Free Trial Member
    62 karma

Perfect- thanks guys! Honestly I think I just need to start writing and themes/ideas will naturally flow out of that process.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

@andrewpete93 said:
    Perfect- thanks guys! Honestly I think I just need to start writing and themes/ideas will naturally flow out of that process.

yup! just start writing some ideas down and elaborate on them and you will eventually end up with something! I think that is how lots of people end up with their PS tbh. good luck!

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

@andrewpete93 said:

I would recommend looking at the 7sage Admissions primer. It's pretty helpful when you're just starting out

https://7sage.com/law-school-admissions-primer/

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@andrewpete93 said:

Exactly! My final personal statement ended up coming after I had already written around 7 or 8 iterations of other different topics. Just start writing and you'll come up with something!