Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stuck on conditional reasoning

nelson.lizellenelson.lizelle Free Trial Member

Heya everyone new to 7Sage. My studying is going great, but I don't understand how to apply the diagramming concept to the actual question any suggestions?

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

1.) Master logical indicators. Who, when, all, only, unless, none, no...etc. these will be your guide posts to alert you of conditional logic being used. Know what they mean, know how to translate them, know how to negate them.

2.) know the question type. Must Be True, SA, Parallel reasoning etc. some of these question types rely on conditional logic way more than others. This is especially true for MBT and Parallel reasoning.

3.) learn argument structures, valid and invalid argument structures. A->B, B->C therefore A->B. Getting use to these structures will have them stand out when they are being used during a test.

4.) understand Most, some, all, none etc. it's important to understand their logical meaning. They are the "harder" argument structures to master. These are also guide post words.

5.) THE MOST IMPORTANT - Practice until your eyes bleed. Until you are digraming your friends and family's statements in your head. Until you can't read the news, a book, or a website without translating it into logic.

• nelson.lizellenelson.lizelle Free Trial Member
    8 karma

Hello, thank you for the tip, but I am specifically having difficulties with contrapostives and applying that concept to the question itself.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@"nelson.lizelle" said:
    Hello, thank you for the tip, but I am specifically having difficulties with contrapostives and applying that concept to the question itself.

Well if you can negate and make a contra positive then it's just a chain link. Just trying to put two things together.

If I go to the mall, then I will buy shoes. I didn't buy shoes.

Gtm->bs
    /bs

What MBT?

If I don't buy shoes, then I didn't go to the mall.

/Bs -> /gtm

So I didn't go to the mall.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Practice, practice, practice!

Pay attention to words such as most, some, many (which translates to 'some'), majority (most), all and so on.

Also for sufficient conditions, pay attention to an indicator like IF.
    For necessary conditions, pay attention to indictors like only then (usually appears after a sufficient condition saying 'If....., then ....'. There's also the word 'unless' which is a nec. indicator if placed in certain contexts.

There are other indicators which you can find in the core curriculum if you choose to buy a package. I feel like conditional logic is too much to just write it all out here.

• Victoria14Victoria14 Alum Member
    776 karma

Honestly, my first time through I was like what is this garbage?! But I decided that if someone had put the energy in to making this many videos for it, it must be important. So, I would rewatch every video until I understood it. It's especially useful in parallel questions and in logic games! Just keep at it, and if you are super confused then post a question at the bottom of the video. Someone will get back to you in a timely manner.