Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No improvement on LG

Artemis195Artemis195 Alum Member
edited September 2014 in General 21 karma
I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve on logic games. The problem is that I can usually only solve 2 LG within the 35 minute time limit and have trouble solving the more difficult 2 even without a time limit. I've been using the suggested method of printing out blank copies and repeating the game. After I've watched the video I can almost always solve the problem the first time within 6 minutes and get 100%. I feel like although this method works for a lot of people it's not all that helpful for me. Maybe I've been doing it wrong? Also I've been practicing and getting my hands on as many logic games as I can. Any advice on another method to improve would be great!!

Comments

• Allison MAllison M Alum Member Inactive Sage
    810 karma
    How many times are you repeating each game?
  • Artemis195Artemis195 Alum Member
    21 karma
    I usually repeat each game 2-3 times because I have memorized all the inferences and can do it in around 5-6 minutes. I'm not sure there's really any point in redoing it if I've already memorized it. Maybe I'm wrong though.
  • adrian.mikoadrian.miko Alum Member
    191 karma
    Artemis,
    Could you identify which game types you struggle with the most?
    21 karma
    I wish I could say that it's a type of game I consistently get wrong. The only ones I consistently get correct are single layered sequencing game. I have noticed that ones where it's not possible to draw lots of inferences at the outset I tend to have difficulties with. Other than that though there's no specific type such as in and out or multi layered sequencing games. This is rough, especially since I'm aiming for high 160s.
  • joegotbored-1joegotbored-1 Alum Member
    802 karma
    I started out in the same boat. Luckily, my memory isn't as good as yours. That said, You need to do each game at least 5-8 times, if not the full 10 as recommended. If you remember the inferences, so be it. Force yourself to read each question, don't just write from memory. One of the things I did was I sometimes solved it brute force even though I knew I could split boards... just to do it differently.

You could also get a full set, say 4 or 5 games, and do 4 copies of each game, then switch to the next and keep going non-stop until you finish say...8 copies of each game. So 2 rounds of 4 for each game. Then do another set with different games.

It really just takes time. Repetition is what allows you to see the game type without blinking, the board splits without thinking, and the scores of the pimp king. ( Yes...I did go out of my way to rhyme pimp king... hater.)

Seriously...repetition. There's a reason JY says do 10 copies of each game. They don't have to be back to back if you remember everything, but you should still do each game you have 10 times before test day.
  • GraceloverGracelover Alum Member
    440 karma
    Hey Artemis, one thing that I do now is to practice creating the main diagram(with split boards, inferences, etc) over and over again, timed. Sometimes it is this part in which I make a lot of mistakes and am too slow. Maybe instead of doing a WHOLE game, it might be more productive to focus on areas in which are slow and keep practicing those areas
  • Allison MAllison M Alum Member Inactive Sage
    810 karma
    One thing that helped me in the beginning was coming up with a list of things to think about during the setup of each board. I literally had a piece of paper in front of me whenever I practiced games that said things like "# of possible positions for boxes?" and "how many possible slot distributions?" and "leader/follower?". These prompts got me in the habit of asking the right questions right off the bat, which made the whole thing a lot easier.

Regard repetition: once I felt like I was in control of a particular game, I would shuffle the rest of my copies into a big pile of other games I'd successfully completed. That way, I would go for a week or two without attempting a particular game, giving me time to shake the sense of automatic recall.
  • mjjohns6mjjohns6 Member
    418 karma
    My advice would be that after you watch the video on that game you should redo it. You said it takes you 5-6 mins because you memorize it. Then maybe a week later or a couple of days later you should try doing that LG again to see if you can remember the inferences.
  • joegotbored-1joegotbored-1 Alum Member
    802 karma
    @Allison, your idea with the 3 questions as a reminder is awesome. Wish I had thought of it as I was learning.
  • adrian.mikoadrian.miko Alum Member
    191 karma
    I too quickly memorize LGs after watching video explanations, but instead of doing the game immediately after the video, I'd go back to look at the rules again and try to understand the implications they have on the game itself. Constraints, placement of variables, etc.

When I first started LG, I approached games with few inferences by diagramming out a few hypothetical situations, looking at the rules to ensure variables are placed without any violations. I found this helped with my approach to logic games, as I grasped a better understanding of each game.

Hope this helps.
  • kellysmellykellysmelly Alum Member
    edited September 2014 84 karma
    I am like you. I remember the question and video too well. Do a lot of different (yet similar) games. This should have the same overall effect and it will build your confidence and intuition (in attacking the game in the abstract--knowing where the constraints are in the game set-up, or with particular variables that maybe have two rules affecting them, or where two different variables actually are functioning the same in the game). This ultimately allows you to make the inference in your head, instead of writing it all out, maybe just a part and consequently making you faster at solving the problems. Also, as J-Y mentions you have to write the rules, and link/manipulate them by second nature, that is to say, without much pause or hesitation- if they are giving you a lot of pause or hesitation- then you need more practice (meaning that you have not memorized/understood all of their general allowances in a given game set-up, grouping, sequencing, in/out ect ).
    21 karma
    Thanks so much everyone for your advice and encouragement. I'll keep your suggestions in mind keep on keeping on :) Some great ideas to switch up how I've been studying. Good to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem!