Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Struggling with Reading Comp

I'm struggling with Reading Comp.. pretty badly. I miss like a total of 10 questions on my Reading Comp sections... that is not good.

Has anybody here ever struggled with Reading Comp but found a technique/way that helped you perform really well on Reading Comp now?

I always summarize each paragraph, underline/circle key words and try to understand how all the paragraphs are connected/related after I finish reading a passage. However, I still keep missing like 8-10 question. But I'll usually get down to 2 answer choices (wrong answer choice and correct answer choice), but I'll often times end up choosing the wrong answer choice! Augh.

Timing is also a problem for me. I take about 3-4 minutes reading and analyzing the passages and I Feel like I'm not spending enough time on the questions. I feel rushed and when I see that I only have about 10 minutes left to do my last passage, I start panicking.

Please help. I feel like if I can just do better on my RC section, I'll be able to reach the score that I want.

If you have ever struggled with the RC section in the past, but you've now found a way to do well on it, please teach me your ways!

Comments

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@HereisSara Hello, have you watched the webinar on RC? Also, search the discussion for Nicole's RC strategy as well. Some like it and some don't. You'll probably want to tweak it to fit your needs either way. Also, do you do a thorough BR? I struggled with BR for RC because I didn't want to re-read each passage and I just didn't get the point. Of course the answer is there and if I have unlimited time I'll find it! What I learned is that BR can teach you how to find those answers. You'll start to notice patterns. If you decide to use Nicole's strategy you might find that the notations will also help you find the answers. I'm not a fan of the memory method because it just didn't work for me, but have you given it a chance? Try a few untimed passages and follow the memory method and see if you get any results. Another thing that helped me was The LSAT Trainer. It broke down how to answer certain question types and it's also great for learning how to read for structure. I'm down to -3 but it's not consistent hopefully one of the mentors or someone doing consistently well will be along soon. You've got this!

• HereisSaraHereisSara Alum Member
    65 karma

@tanes256 Thank you so much for your advice! I haven't heard of Nicole's RC strategy... is it like a video or a blog? Where can I find that exactly? Do I just type in Nicole's RC to find it?

And I've heard about The Trainer by Mike Kim, and I've read positive reviews where people said the RC section was very useful. Did you buy the book or did you just find some information on it online? Some people suggested that buying the book just to study for the RC was useful, but wanted to know what you thought?

Sorry for asking so many questions but thank you again! I really appreciate your help.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@HereisSara no problem! I did buy the book. I think it was $45-$55. It was super helpful for me for RC and flaws specifically. Try googling Nicole's RC strategy or maybe even YouTube. I know it's been posted here several times. I'll try searching the forum and if I find it I'll tag you.

• bunny11.11bunny11.11 Alum Member
    38 karma

Hey @HereisSara !

You're not alone! I am in the same boat. Doing okay on the other sections but timing is a huge problem for me in RC, even if I'm getting through the passages in 4 min or less.

Going to check out The LSAT Trainer, let me know if you do and what you think.

• HereisSaraHereisSara Alum Member
    65 karma

@"bunny11.11" I'll definitely let you know! I'm thinking about ordering that book tonight after work actually.
    @tanes256 Thanks so much! you are awesome.