PT54.S4.Q03 - researcher: any country can determine which

Henry AnHenry An Alum Member
edited September 2017 in Logical Reasoning 123 karma

I am having trouble understanding why answer choice A is a necessary assumption. I eliminated this answer choice because of the word ANY. I think it may be due to how I negated this answer choice, focusing of the "quantity" and not on the word "work well."

The way I negated it was: A type of school system that works well in one country will NOT work well in SOME countries." Even if this was true, I don't believe that the argument would be wrecked, as a country could just defer to the next best possible choice of system.

However, if I were to negate focusing on "work well": A type of school system that works well in one country WILL NOT ALWAYS work well in any country. Were this to be true, I can clearly understand why the argument is wrecked.

How are we to go about negating such necessary assumptions? I thought negating "all" was to simply state "some are not." Is there a rule to when we are to negate quantity or note?

Thanks in advance!

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-54-section-4-question-03/

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Without worrying about anything else like words/phrases/how to properly negate. If I said

"A type of banking system that works well in one country, will work in any country."

And you wanted to disagree with me what would you say?

Probably something like

"No way dude. A type of banking system that works well in one country will NOT work well in any country."

That's the negation. Sometimes it helps to just let your instinct drive you on negations.

What I do is I get angry at the answer choices and pretend that I'm a 5 year old disagreeing with everything. 5 year olds are the master of the negation.