Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best way to get back to studying?

bklsat05bklsat05 Member
in General 177 karma

'Ello all,

What are your best tips to get back into studying after the exam? Do you continue with some PTs and BR as usual?

I've watched the webinar about studying after CC. I've found that I should do some days of LG Drills & Foolproofing and then at least 1 PT with BR.

I am finding it very hard to jump back into it as the sweet taste of freedom is on my lips

Comments

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

which webinar is that? can you link please. thank you!

• bklsat05bklsat05 Member
    177 karma

@sillllyxo said:
    which webinar is that? can you link please. thank you!

Here you go:

https://7sage.com/webinar/post-core-curriculum-study-strategies/

P.S. I watched this the night before, it literally saved my test https://7sage.com/webinar/skip-it/

I just kept hearing her voice.

P.S. anyone reading, I decided the best way would be to just restart. Don't stop, whatever you do. I was going through LG 1-35 and I only got to 10 before the exam. I just did 11 untimed (45min for g1 and g2, realized I was losing focus. Took a break, 25 min G3 + G4) and now watching the video.

Not the same pace, and probably not going to do more than one set tonight. But DON'T STOP! Even if you got the best score you were looking for, once you lose that momentum it is near impossible to get it back. Hopefully I can keep a better work / life / play balance this time around.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@bklsat05 said:
    'Ello all,

What are your best tips to get back into studying after the exam? Do you continue with some PTs and BR as usual?

I've watched the webinar about studying after CC. I've found that I should do some days of LG Drills & Foolproofing and then at least 1 PT with BR.

I am finding it very hard to jump back into it as the sweet taste of freedom is on my lips

How long have you been out of the routine of studying? Where did you leave off?

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

@bklsat05 you said you are doing LG 1-35 ? Does that mean you have access to all those prep tests in entirety? I realize that I can see all the explanations for all the games ever, but I can't seem to figure out how to find the game in its original form so that I can work it before watching the explanation video. Maybe I don't have access? I'm only a premium member so I'm not sure...

• katekellypetersonkatekellypeterson Free Trial Member
    10 karma

I made a study guide schedule last night based on PowerScores. I used the LSAT Trainer last time. I think I'll just start from square one, sort of, and skim where I don't need further explanation. Timing was my main weakness with Septembers test- especially for RC, which I usually struggle with timing, regardless. I think I'll do more tests. Unfortunately I mostly tested from the 60s last go around. I ordered the 50s and will use that to do more timed drills, and will try to put more emphasis on timing this go around now that I have a grasp on the fundamentals. Some things like parallels really tripped me up during the test.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

If you need to address pacing, take footage of your tests and then watch it back with a stopwatch and a spreadsheet. Once you see the data all broken down, your issues become really conspicuous.

• bklsat05bklsat05 Member
    177 karma

@LindsMitch said:
    @bklsat05 you said you are doing LG 1-35 ? Does that mean you have access to all those prep tests in entirety? I realize that I can see all the explanations for all the games ever, but I can't seem to figure out how to find the game in its original form so that I can work it before watching the explanation video. Maybe I don't have access? I'm only a premium member so I'm not sure...

You need Ultimate+ for all PTs or you have to find them

• 1025 karma

I would recommend fool-proofing LG first. I wish I started with that right out of the CC.

• tuc28290tuc28290 Alum Member
    103 karma

Context: I took the Sept test, am registered for the Dec. I've been studying for almost 2 years using a variety of prep options, but recently discovered 7Sage in July 2017 I only got thru about half of LG CC (w/ no RC or LR CC) before taking September test. I have 2 questions:

1) I have been foolproofing LG's as I'm move along in the LG CC. As in, I (attempt to) fool-proof whatever game I've just learned in CC. Per someone's previous comment / suggestion, should I not be doing that ?? Should I wait until I finish learning ALL the LGs in CC to begin the 1-35 fool proof method ??

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    If you need to address pacing, take footage of your tests and then watch it back with a stopwatch and a spreadsheet. Once you see the data all broken down, your issues become really conspicuous.

2) Could you please elaborate on this, @"Cant Get Right" ? I've seen where others mentioned doing this, but I am not sure of the entire logistics (when it comes to inputting into spreadsheet, etc.) Is there a webinar or detailed post that explains this method ??

As always, thank you!

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    edited September 2017 4423 karma

@tuc28290 said:
    Context: I took the Sept test, am registered for the Dec. I've been studying for almost 2 years using a variety of prep options, but recently discovered 7Sage in July 2017 I only got thru about half of LG CC (w/ no RC or LR CC) before taking September test. I have 2 questions:

1) I have been foolproofing LG's as I'm move along in the LG CC. As in, I (attempt to) fool-proof whatever game I've just learned in CC. Per someone's previous comment / suggestion, should I not be doing that ?? Should I wait until I finish learning ALL the LGs in CC to begin the 1-35 fool proof method ??

I don't know for sure if this is the standard method of addressing foolproofing and the core curriculum, but here is how I used 7sage to study for my retake.

I had initially taken the test in February with a few weeks of study and decided to retake it despite a score I was fairly happy with(a 172) since I had not finished the logic games section.

As a student still in school with only a part time tutoring position for the summer I had lots of time to study for the LSAT.

I went through the core curriculum in about two weeks slowing down for the sections of logic games to take them and mske sure I understood them, but not foolproofing them. If I'm not mistaken, they are mostly from 1-35 (to keep newer tests fresh as valid predictors) so you end up foolproofing them anyway.

I then fool proofed logic games every day for the next three months using the Pacifico Method (print out four copies, take a section, watch explanation videos for the section, retake the section, take the section from the previous day, take the section from the previous week). To completely get through the first 35 this takes about 42 days of studying. That's around 35minutes for the new section, up to an hour to watch and understand the explanation videos of the section, 25-30 minutes to retake the section, 25-30 minutes to retake the section from the day before, and 25-30 minutes to retake the section from one week before. That's about 3 hours a day at a minimum you need to have dedicated to foolproofing. It can be longer if you feel shaky on one you are redoing in which case you should rewatch the explanation video and maybe plan to rewatch core curriculum videos on the same topic. After those first 35, I added ones from more recently completed PTs after the first 35.

During these foolproofing months, I also took 2-3 LSAT's a week including 2 back to back every Saturday. I blind reviewed those and graded them on Saturday as well since I always badly wanted to know how I did. Then I foolproofed the Saturday's games. Sunday, I relaxed and only foolproofed. Monday through Friday I foolproofed and depending on how I felt and if I had time, either went back over parts of the core curriculum or took another PT sometime in the week.

After these three months, I was back in school and busier so I stepped my studying down and took just a few more PT's which I thoroughly blind reviewed.

When I took the real test in September I finished the games section (this was the central goal of my 7sage studying). However, I was a little spacey and distracted the whole test with a bad case of the flu or something like it which caused sneezing, coughing, and vomitting (thankfully not during the actual test sections) so I'm anxiously waiting to see if I beat my old score. If I didn't, I'll retake in December with minimal additional studying.

You have somewhat less time and that's not even accounting for a work or school schedule, but should be able to get the remainder of the CC out of the way in a few weeks and then foolproof 1-35 while PTing and blind reviewing.

I also highly recommend getting your flu shot.

Good luck!

• tuc28290tuc28290 Alum Member
    103 karma

Thanks!!!! A few questions:

1. 172 with a “few weeks of study” Wow ok.
    2. I use the Pacifico method for my foolproofing too (sooo many sheet protectors!!). I don’t however, do it by section--I’ve been doing it in the order they appear in the CC, as noted earlier. Perhaps I should switch to section-by section, though, since I know that will give me a better sense of what I am to expect on test-day.
    3. What was your purpose in doing 2 on Saturday (vs. 1)? And were these 4 or 5 sectioned tests?? How did you not burn-out doing 2 in a row?? (Sry I know that's 3 questions! :)
    4. Did you use any particular method to track & plan out your study progress ?? (Big calendar hung on wall, wrote it in a planner, google calendar, good ole excel spreadsheet, etc.)

It seems from your strategy, you finished the entire CC and then went into fool proofing 1-35 + more recent games. Maybe I should do that too, because fool proofing while also doing LG CC is making the CC take MUCH longer. I think I’ll instead just set-up my foolproof pages for the LGs I encounter in the CC, so they’ll all be printed & ready once I am ready to revisit & foolproof them after I finish the entire CC.

I have 63 days until Dec test day. I do however, have a full-time job (which requires out-of-state travel), a part-time job (avg 4 hrs/wk, tho), and am pretty active socially (monthly civic assoc. & board mtgs, etc.) However -- I am a pretty focused & determined individual and my PTO @ my job is really generous / flexible (I've already requested off almost every single Friday until Test Day, heh. and i plan to take off much more the closer I get to it). I've been at this for 1.5 years now, and am slowly but surely creeping towards my goal score of 170 (highest PT has been 167). On every test LG is by far my weakest spot, so, similar to you, I am hoping a strong LG focus via 7Sage will bring my score to where I want it to be. (I still curse PowerScore every day for teaching me their antiquated methods...)

Thanks so much, @"Seeking Perfection" for taking the time to write out your whole strategy! It’s greatly appreciated. If the LSAT alone wasn’t hard enough, it’s real challenge just to identify / know which studying practice works best for yourself !!

I still welcome an one else’s feedback & suggestions. ? Thank you.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

@tuc28290 , hey happy to explain further. I typically watch footage three times.

The first time, I'm just doing it with a stopwatch and a spreadsheet, recording times for individual questions, passage reads, and game setups. The completed spreadsheet provides an objective, strategic overview that is tremendously revealing as far as strategy goes. For myself and a number of my students, seeing this was a major tipping point. I never realized just how bad my time management was before seeing it all broken down in front of me. Once I saw my performance broken down like that, I was able to adjust my time management strategy, and my score catapulted from the mid/high 160's to the low/mid 170's overnight. It really was that simple.

The second time, I'm tracking for content. I'll watch with a blank copy of the section and different colored pens in order to track my work on different rounds. (I finish LR with about 10 minutes to spare at the end, and I frequently go through the section 3 or 4 times for different things.) I'll copy my work on the blank section using a different colored pen for each round, and record my time next to each question for each attempt at the question. While I do this, I'm also reviewing the test mentally, working through the questions and using memory and body language to piece together my original thought process. It's amazing the nuances you can pick up just by seeing the way you physically interact with the actual test.

The third time is more holistic. Having watched the video twice and tracked my times and thought processes, I'm able to really get a good look at the section as a whole and consciously pinpoint the specific lessons of the section. I make notes in a notebook with specific observations about weaknesses that need to be addressed, exercises that need to be done, and any other relevant thoughts on the take. It makes for a really thorough review.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@tuc28290 said:
    Thanks!!!! A few questions:

1. 172 with a “few weeks of study” Wow ok.
    2. I use the Pacifico method for my foolproofing too (sooo many sheet protectors!!). I don’t however, do it by section--I’ve been doing it in the order they appear in the CC, as noted earlier. Perhaps I should switch to section-by section, though, since I know that will give me a better sense of what I am to expect on test-day.
    3. What was your purpose in doing 2 on Saturday (vs. 1)? And were these 4 or 5 sectioned tests?? How did you not burn-out doing 2 in a row?? (Sry I know that's 3 questions! :)
    4. Did you use any particular method to track & plan out your study progress ?? (Big calendar hung on wall, wrote it in a planner, google calendar, good ole excel spreadsheet, etc.)

It seems from your strategy, you finished the entire CC and then went into fool proofing 1-35 + more recent games. Maybe I should do that too, because fool proofing while also doing LG CC is making the CC take MUCH longer. I think I’ll instead just set-up my foolproof pages for the LGs I encounter in the CC, so they’ll all be printed & ready once I am ready to revisit & foolproof them after I finish the entire CC.

I have 63 days until Dec test day. I do however, have a full-time job (which requires out-of-state travel), a part-time job (avg 4 hrs/wk, tho), and am pretty active socially (monthly civic assoc. & board mtgs, etc.) However -- I am a pretty focused & determined individual and my PTO @ my job is really generous / flexible (I've already requested off almost every single Friday until Test Day, heh. and i plan to take off much more the closer I get to it). I've been at this for 1.5 years now, and am slowly but surely creeping towards my goal score of 170 (highest PT has been 167). On every test LG is by far my weakest spot, so, similar to you, I am hoping a strong LG focus via 7Sage will bring my score to where I want it to be. (I still curse PowerScore every day for teaching me their antiquated methods...)

Thanks so much, @"Seeking Perfection" for taking the time to write out your whole strategy! It’s greatly appreciated. If the LSAT alone wasn’t hard enough, it’s real challenge just to identify / know which studying practice works best for yourself !!

I still welcome an one else’s feedback & suggestions. ? Thank you.

1. Yeah the 172 was with three weeks of study before the February test during which I also had my wisdom teeth out and was out on pain meds for a few days. I'm naturally almost perfect on LR and pretty good at Reading comprehension so while the February test is undisclosed I believe several of my errors came on the games section that I did not finish.

2. I did it by section so I could get the satisfaction of knowing that I had completed a section rather than comparing myself to a guess at how long each game should take. I did time and record the individual games too so I knew which types I was slower on though.

3. They were four section tests. I did it them back to back for a few reasons. I always had time on Saturday and kept track of how many I did per week. I wanted to build endurance, and couldn't really simulate the experimental section well since I always would have known where I put it and if I had done it before. I wasn't worried about burning tests since I am going to be busy leading up to December and am definitely applying for this cycle before the GRE further devalues good LSAT scores and high GPAs count more. Finally, I did slightly better on average on the second one each time so I knew I wasn't burning out and wouldn't tire on the real test.

4. I printed out a calender and wrote what days I was going to be in what stage of foolproofing each test's logic games. Other than that I kept track of what types of LR questions and Reading comp questions I missed and whether I caught them on blind review, but there was not much of a dramatic pattern and it took many tests to miss enough to do much analysis at all.

Keep up the logic games prep. Conquering your weak session(especially logic games since foolproofing makes improvement possible) makes the other sections less stressful. My first perfect games section on a PT was my only 180 PT and was the first time I cracked 176. Itbis especially nice with the games since you almost are always right if you finish.