Drilling Material + Complimentary Materials

NotoriousCMMNotoriousCMM Member
in General 16 karma

I took the June 2016 LSAT (seems like forever ago) -- I only self studied for 1.5 months and got a 160 -- what did I improve off of? I can't even really tell you. I didn't start taking PTs until a month before, my lowest I think was a 157, highest 162; On my official test, I got -1 on my LG; I can't remember what sections are what on my scan anymore, but I do remember LR was not terrible, RC was just bad.

Anyways,after some big life events I have decided to retake and I am dead set on getting above a 170 (but obviously aiming for a 180, always).

I am here because I have decided to buy the LSAT Starter. Mostly because I never really learned many of the concepts behind LR and the concepts I did learn, I only studied for about a month, and I need some game plan for RC. But, knowing that I am going to have to really drill in LR and RC the most -- should I buy additional books JUST for practice problems and varying levels? I am worried the the Starter won't give me the amount of practice I need or the level.

I know people are going to suggest upping to the highest level, but I cannot shell out that much money all at once. Just not feasible for me.

Comments

• LivePumpkinLivePumpkin Free Trial Member
    270 karma

What prep materials did you use to study for the June 2016 test? And how many PTs did you take?

I made a somewhat similar mistake but from the various forums I read and the people I’ve spoken to the LSAT Trainer is really good for the test overall and Manhattan LR is really good for LR. And 7Sage fool proof method for the Logic Games is legitimately the absolute best way to improve on LG.

• NotoriousCMMNotoriousCMM Member
    16 karma

It was all over the place -- I used (free) online resource to learn argument structure and did practice problems from the Kaplan Test books.

I think the most helpful learning tool for me was Nathan Fox's book to help me with LG. It wasn't even his LG book, just his general one, and then watching videos to diagram better. But I usually got a perfect score on LG, or -1. So, I am not worried about that.

I am basically asking for advice on supplementing practice questions in additional to what the 7Sage Starter provides, since I am worried it will not be enough or hard enough.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@NotoriousCMM said:
    It was all over the place -- I used (free) online resource to learn argument structure and did practice problems from the Kaplan Test books.

I think the most helpful learning tool for me was Nathan Fox's book to help me with LG. It wasn't even his LG book, just his general one, and then watching videos to diagram better. But I usually got a perfect score on LG, or -1. So, I am not worried about that.

I am basically asking for advice on supplementing practice questions in additional to what the 7Sage Starter provides, since I am worried it will not be enough or hard enough.

it's impossible to know what will be sufficient for you to get your score where you need it to be. A friend of mine used just the Starter to score a 173. So it's enough for some people. If you're already scoring in the 160s then I would imagine once you go through the core curriculum you'll be doing PTs and blind reviewing them anyway. Not sure how much drilling you'll be doing outside of timed sections at this point. The beautiful thing about 7Sage is you can upgrade for the difference in price anytime. So try to Starter and if you eventually need more drilling materials, you can always upgrade.