Question about which transcripts to submit to CAS - high school courses counting as college credit

BumbleJD1624BumbleJD1624 Free Trial Member

I know this probably seems like a silly question, and the only reason I'm putting it out there is because my wonderful albeit helicopter-y mother has not stopped badgering me about it.

In high school, I took a number of AP courses which I obtained college credit for at UConn. I did not end up going to UConn, so the credits never counted toward my undergraduate GPA, but nevertheless I do have 28 college credits there. Is this something I can submit a transcript for? And if I can, should I? I'm not sure how an admissions council would perceive a transcript with grades from high school

Comments

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

AP classes do not count, only classes actually taken at a college or university. If you would have went to UConn they presumably would not have counted toward your UGPA, but just toward credit requirements.

I have a bunch of AP credit at my school and it basically shows up as having credit for classes which don't effect my GPA. I also took one class at a college while in high school which does count for LSAC. I had to go to that college and have them send LSAC a transcript. You have to do that regardless of whether it helps ir hurts.

I hope this clears things up.

Good luck with your application!

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

So they don't show up on your transcript at all or are you just saying they weren't factored into your UG GPA but still are on your transcript?

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

Shouldn't they be on your HS transcript? i don't think these count. I took COLLEGE CLASSES in high school and did send in that transcript but they were separate from my high school classes. I also took AP classes and got college credit but those are reflected on the high school transcript anyways the credit isn't graded it's just if you take the AP exam if you get a 5 or 4 or whatever you get credit.

• Tavorak_Tavorak_ Free Trial Member
    115 karma

Do they show up as transfer credits on your transcript at your degree institution?
    I took dual-enrollment classes in high school and I'm having those transcripts sent.

• BumbleJD1624BumbleJD1624 Free Trial Member
    62 karma

Thank you for all your insights! I actually ended up calling LSAC, and they said I do need to submit the transcripts if they come from a college/university.

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

@BumbleJD1624 said:
    Thank you for all your insights! I actually ended up calling LSAC, and they said I do need to submit the transcripts if they come from a college/university.

curious do you mean if they do not come from a college?

62 karma

No - if you can get a transcript from a college/university then you should submit it. That was my impression at least. I described the situation to the LSAC person (I have credits at a university, but these credits were acquired during high school), and they were pretty blunt about it.

Even though LSAC told me I should, I'm not convinced I actually should... How would they know that I wasn't submitting these random credits? Also, I don't want it to look like I'm doing numbers gymnastics or trying to inflate my GPA.

edited October 2017 4196 karma

@BumbleJD1624 said:
    No - if you can get a transcript from a college/university then you should submit it. That was my impression at least. I described the situation to the LSAC person (I have credits at a university, but these credits were acquired during high school), and they were pretty blunt about it.

Even though LSAC told me I should, I'm not convinced I actually should... How would they know that I wasn't submitting these random credits? Also, I don't want it to look like I'm doing numbers gymnastics or trying to inflate my GPA.

if you explained it to them and they said you should then you should.

Honestly just do it, if it ends up being that they don't actually need it then they will adjust to that. Not submitting stuff can screw you later on for C&F even if you not submitting a transcript in your eyes is a harmless act. Just submit it, most likely they do need it and if they don't then there goes a few bucks but you will have assurance that you're in the clear for that for C&F.

62 karma

Thank you! That's a good attitude to approach it with. I doubt law school admissions would look negatively on someone for submitting too many transcripts. They really only care about LSAT and undergrad GPA.

4196 karma

@BumbleJD1624 said:
    Thank you! That's a good attitude to approach it with. I doubt law school admissions would look negatively on someone for submitting too many transcripts. They really only care about LSAT and undergrad GPA.

Well right, but admissions committees wouldn't even see your transcript if it isn't used for your LSAC GPA :P but yeah, either way they really don't care how many transcripts you have as long as they have that golden LSAC GPA number

• supboardersupboarder Alum Member
    109 karma

I had both AP credits and dual enrollment credits from college classes taken in high school. Since I received an associates degree while in high school, as well as taking classes not offered at my local community college online, I attended eight different institutions, including the college I am currently attending. As such I submitted 8 transcript requests from my LSAC file. Some were submitted electronically, others had to be in response to a mailed request from the LSAC, and this is taking some time to complete. Start early. Nowhere on the LSAC does it require submission of transcripts of your AP credits, although I assume it shows up on your current college transcript.

"Request transcripts to be sent to LSAC from your:

undergraduate degree-granting institution
    institutions attended even though a degree was never received
    graduate degree-granting institution(s)
    law/medical/professional institutions
    institutions where college-level courses were taken while in high school."

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Yes absolutely, if you have college credits from while you’re in high school, you must submit them. I did similar, although mine weren’t from AP but honors classes. There was an arrangement with a local community college which we could pay enrollment fees and then receive credit for those classes. Work was completed through my high school, but I have a transcript from that community college showing college courses completed. I submitted that transcript like any other and you should absolutely do the same! It’ll only help raise your GPA, this is a great thing for you!

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited December 2017 3072 karma

If you received AP credits from classes taken in high school, those credits should be listed on your college transcript. That was the case for me, at least. Call your college's registrar's office and ask them.