I think this would be helpful to all of us working on our Personal Statements and Résumés

keishabarnes95keishabarnes95 Alum Member
edited October 2017 in General 59 karma

If you have the admissions program for 7sage then you are going to recognize the name Anna Ivey, or at least the book Ivey's guide to Law School Admissions. I was curious as to how a real admissions officer took every part of our applications into consideration and if they could, what honest advice they would have. Anna Ivey is a former admissions officer for University of Chicago Law School (i believe), and when she left to create her own admissions company, she wrote a books giving advice students want when talking to councilors. She talked about everything from what to say about low gpas, and some nuances as far as supplemental statements go, what types of personal statements tend to catch admission officers eyes and talked about the nuances (like making sure you spell resume properly aka résumé). Those things she said really mattered when they make decisions between certain candidates and would matter to schools who don't do interviews like U of Chicago do to get to know the applicants. I HIGHLY suggest reading it because I found it to be incredibly helpful and made me look back over my own résumé (one my career advisor said was good) because it had mistakes in terms of set up and what I didn't use it to do which was have a 'personal section'. I didn't by the higher costing admissions programs that 7sage has because me and my family don't have a great deal of money.

So if you're looking for advice that is low costing I definitely suggest getting her ebook for kindle (you can get the app, it's free for some and my cost a bit for others) but it's totally worth it. I read through the entire thing in about a day and half, if that. I highlighted and made notes too because it was that helpful.