Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Third Take- How to study

Pink DustPink Dust Alum Member
in General 403 karma

Hi guys,
So as you can tell by the title, I signed up for the December exam. However, I am feeling extremely demotivated to study. I have been studying since Feb. I had written the June lsat and scored poorly on it. 148 (but I knew i was not ready. I was only doing max 152 before going into the exam). My diagnostic in feb was like a low 130.
I then continued to study all throughout the summer and started PTing around 154-160 (which is my target range). However when I wrote the September lsat, I just got really nervous. It was like my brain froze & I knew I did bad. I got a 149.
My whole summer wasted for just a one point increase. It kind of makes me wanna cry - not going to lie. I was only away from answering one more question correctly to get at least a 150.
I went
-7 on LR and -14 on the other LR (I was just so damn nervous, couldn't even read properly), I went -10 on games and -12 on reading comp (I don't see myself improving on reading comp - I either get the passage or I don't.).

I took the month off from Sept 16 till now. My first break from the lsat since FEB (focusing on writing personal statements) . However, I don't know where to start. I have about 9 PTs printed to take. Should I focus on drilling? or take full timed PTs?
I have gone thru the CC twice, lsat trainer and I go back to the CC multiple times.
I just feel lost at this point. I felt I knew my stuff to at least get 155-157 but I did so bad AGAIN. and I knew it went bad because I was contemplating canceling my score. I am trying for Canadian schools, so my applications are due in about 15 days - so most of my attention has just gone to personal statements.

Comments

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

Hi Pink Dust, you are not alone i promise! I blacked out during the first section this Sep test and got 9 right which is just awful. I didn't increase at all from my first take because of anxiety and stress.

I am curious what others say. I am starting to practice mindfulness and yoga maybe this could help you as well.

708 karma

I honestly could have wrote your post. I was scoring in the mid to high 150's and in the 160's during BR. I am sending you positive thoughts!!!!

• nicole.brooklynnicole.brooklyn Alum Member
    341 karma

Here’s one tip for test day anxiety that helped me:

You know that moment at the beginning of each section where the proctor says, “Begin,” and everyone frantically flips the page? You start holding your breath, trying to read faster, trying not to think about the last section, saying to yourself, “Focus!!” Instead, when you flip the page, pause. Watch everyone else panic for just a second. They’re about to make stupid mistakes because they’re panicking. But you’ve got this. Take a deep breath, and begin. The 2 seconds, or even 5 seconds, you spend doing this at the beginning of each section will pay off in dividends over the next 35 minutes because you took the time to correct your mindset before you began to fall into the rabbit hole of anxiety and panic.

• sdsd1818sdsd1818 Alum Member
    edited October 2017 97 karma

I have a long way to go in combatting my own anxiety, but something that helped before and during the test was closing my eyes, inhaling slowly for 4 counts and exhaling slowly for 6. Think about breathing in everything you need for the test (e.g. focus, confidence), and breathing out everything you don't (e.g. anxiety, distractions, fear). Once you start, look only at the test-- not at other test-takers, or proctors, or the time (unless you're able to do this without freaking out). Repeat the breathing exercise every time you start to freak out.

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

Funny story - > @"nicole.burdakin" said:

You know that moment at the beginning of each section where the proctor says, “Begin,” and everyone frantically flips the page? You start holding your breath, trying to read faster, trying not to think about the last section, saying to yourself, “Focus!!” Instead, when you flip the page, pause. Watch everyone else panic for just a second. They’re about to make stupid mistakes because they’re panicking. But you’ve got this. Take a deep breath, and begin. The 2 seconds, or even 5 seconds, you spend doing this at the beginning of each section will pay off in dividends over the next 35 minutes because you took the time to correct your mindset before you began to fall into the rabbit hole of anxiety and panic.

I totally believe in this! I really think that everything in this test (once you have the fundamentals down) comes down to a mental state. I'm retaking so I took a Diagnostic this weekend after 3 weeks of not even thinking about the LSAT. I obviously studied before so I just thought - "who cares if I botch this diagnostic? It's just to see what stuck with me" and I got a pretty good score! Just relax, don't think everything is resting on it. You've studied this before. Take a diag, relax and see what else you need to work on.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2017 23929 karma

I would focus on drilling and solidifying fundamentals. I've truly realized that a mastery of the basics is sufficient to score in the 160s on this exam. Also, make sure you fool proof games to get those as close to -0 as possible. It is true that they are the most learnable section of the LSAT.

Also, follow Sage CantGetRight's 3 step study process: https://7sage.com/webinar/post-core-curriculum-study-strategies/

It's an hour long webinar and worth every minute.

Good luck :)

• Pink DustPink Dust Alum Member
    403 karma

@sillllyxo said:
    Hi Pink Dust, you are not alone i promise! I blacked out during the first section this Sep test and got 9 right which is just awful. I didn't increase at all from my first take because of anxiety and stress.

I am curious what others say. I am starting to practice mindfulness and yoga maybe this could help you as well.

Hey! Good luck to both of us! I will try yoga or the gym more. My anxiety has just gotten worse since feb. I also think that I shouldn't spend all day studying for this exam. Max 3-4 hours a day. Will definitely PM you so we can both stay on track. Today I just drilled some games.

403 karma

@mcglz_64 said:
    Funny story - > @"nicole.burdakin" said:

I totally believe in this! I really think that everything in this test (once you have the fundamentals down) comes down to a mental state. I'm retaking so I took a Diagnostic this weekend after 3 weeks of not even thinking about the LSAT. I obviously studied before so I just thought - "who cares if I botch this diagnostic? It's just to see what stuck with me" and I got a pretty good score! Just relax, don't think everything is resting on it. You've studied this before. Take a diag, relax and see what else you need to work on.

I will definitely take a diagnostic since I haven't touched anything LSAT related since the exam. Just drilled some games today.
    I wanted to ask, will you be using the SEPT exam as just an exam to review over or will you take it again under timed conditions?

403 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    I would focus on drilling and solidifying fundamentals. I've truly realized that a mastery of the basics is sufficient to score in the 160s on this exam. Also, make sure you fool proof games to get those as close to -0 as possible. It is true that they are the most learnable section of the LSAT.

Also, follow Sage CantGetRight's 3 step study process: https://7sage.com/webinar/post-core-curriculum-study-strategies/

I couldn't even hold the inferences in my head during the timed exam :( I went -10 on games. On PTing, it was usually -5 sometimes -3.
    Ahh I just feel like so discouraged. I can't even put into words. I will definitely check out the webinar.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Pink Dust" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

I couldn't even hold the inferences in my head during the timed exam :( I went -10 on games. On PTing, it was usually -5 sometimes -3.
    Ahh I just feel like so discouraged. I can't even put into words. I will definitely check out the webinar.

It happens to the best .. Just keep pushing forward and don't let a test be what keeps you from achieving your goal of attending a great law school. It will all be worth it in the end!

• Maddie D.Maddie D. Alum Member
    325 karma

I'm also going to chime in with the mindfulness/meditation advice! Along with mastering fundamentals, it is essential that you don't lose your cool on test day. Easier said than done, I know. I'm a super Type-A, highly anxious person so for what it's worth, this isn't coming to you from a yogi or anything. :wink:

Each day I sit or lay down with my eyes closed and focus on how my breath feels going into my nose as I fill my "belly" (meaning that it's a diaphragmatic breath) and note how it feels when I just release the breath with a little hiss out of my mouth, repeating for anywhere from two to twenty minutes. (this link may help: http://ggia.berkeley.edu/practice/mindful_breathing)

I do a similar thing minus the hiss on test day (obviously lol) at question 15 in every section per a friend's advice. No matter if I'm doing great or the section is messing with me, I put my pencil down at question 15 and take a mindful three-second breath to reset the body and brain. Some will say that's nuts, but it works for me. From what you've said, the mental turmoil of this test seems to be what's really getting to you. But incorporating mindful practices into your daily routine really will change the way your body responds to stress. Also, to second Alex's comment, concurrently work on drilling fundamentals so that the processes behind each question type become reflexive. I think if you can calm your mind during the test, you won't feel the fundamentals slipping so much. Hopefully that helps! Best of luck!

403 karma

@"Maddie Distasio" said:
    I'm also going to chime in with the mindfulness/meditation advice! Along with mastering fundamentals, it is essential that you don't lose your cool on test day. Easier said than done, I know. I'm a super Type-A, highly anxious person so for what it's worth, this isn't coming to you from a yogi or anything. :wink:

Each day I sit or lay down with my eyes closed and focus on how my breath feels going into my nose as I fill my "belly" (meaning that it's a diaphragmatic breath) and note how it feels when I just release the breath with a little hiss out of my mouth, repeating for anywhere from two to twenty minutes. (this link may help: http://ggia.berkeley.edu/practice/mindful_breathing)

I do a similar thing minus the hiss on test day (obviously lol) at question 15 in every section per a friend's advice. No matter if I'm doing great or the section is messing with me, I put my pencil down at question 15 and take a mindful three-second breath to reset the body and brain. Some will say that's nuts, but it works for me. From what you've said, the mental turmoil of this test seems to be what's really getting to you. But incorporating mindful practices into your daily routine really will change the way your body responds to stress. Also, to second Alex's comment, concurrently work on drilling fundamentals so that the processes behind each question type become reflexive. I think if you can calm your mind during the test, you won't feel the fundamentals slipping so much. Hopefully that helps! Best of luck!

Thank you so much for the link. I will definitely start incorporating that everyday. I guess this exam is something else - no undergrad course made me feel so much anxiety.

325 karma

@"Pink Dust" said:

Thank you so much for the link. I will definitely start incorporating that everyday. I guess this exam is something else - no undergrad course made me feel so much anxiety.

Of course! I hope it helps (I have faith that it will because like I said, I'm a giant stress ball naturally haha). And it really is its own beast. It's tough to keep your mind from wandering while you're taking it when there's so much at stake with it, but once your confidence is up and your stress is down I know you can kill it!

403 karma

@"Maddie Distasio" said:

@"Pink Dust" said:

Of course! I hope it helps (I have faith that it will because like I said, I'm a giant stress ball naturally haha). And it really is its own beast. It's tough to keep your mind from wandering while you're taking it when there's so much at stake with it, but once your confidence is up and your stress is down I know you can kill it!

It did! To be honest, I have been losing sleep too. So today, I just sat down in my room on the floor for 20 mins and just focused on my breathing. It was hard to do, but it really calmed me down!!! I'm gonna try doing this everyday now.
    Thank you for the positive kind words :) Sending you lots of love.

708 karma

@"Pink Dust" said:

@"Maddie Distasio" said:

@"Pink Dust" said:

It did! To be honest, I have been losing sleep too. So today, I just sat down in my room on the floor for 20 mins and just focused on my breathing. It was hard to do, but it really calmed me down!!! I'm gonna try doing this everyday now.

The advice i was given was to find an 8 week mindfulness/meditation course ( i start on Monday!) & the book "the worry trap" - chad lejeune ~ maybe it can help you too!

• JESUS LIVES 7JESUS LIVES 7 Core Member
    26 karma

Prayer and Trust whatever the score you will be able to overcome with Hard Work and Faith!

325 karma

@"Pink Dust" said:

@"Maddie Distasio" said:

@"Pink Dust" said:

I'm so glad! And of course. Love and good vibes to you as well!