Author attitude, Author Agree/Disagree.....headache questions.

LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
edited October 2017 in Reading Comprehension 13286 karma

Okay so I've asked about this before and worked on it a little bit but these questions continue to bite me in the ass. I have a really hard time figuring out the authors attitude and what they would agree with in R.C.

How can I practice this? Should I look for indications in the writing? Should I practice making special note of areas where it looks like the author is revealing how they feel? Even if I find how they feel how the hell am I suppose to know what they'd be likely to agree with? What mindset should I have for these questions?

Basically...help...haha

Comments

• BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
    553 karma

So I would suck at RC until a friend of mine said "when you're reading, read for structure, main point, and perspective" I said, okay no sh** but I wouldn't ever actively do it. After that day when I noticed attitude indicators I circled them and when I read I learned to keep watch for the whole structure of the text in the back of my head while at the same time reading the details and finding the main points.

You need to know to look for these things. You might think that you can just read the passage and hope you memorize it and don't need to spend extra time looking for these things, but you never remember everything and keeping an eye out for specific things they always ask questions about takes No extra time.

just keep doing RC passages using that strategy and you naturally just learn to do it. At first it's a conscious effort to look for the structure of a passage but after some practice it's like the very least you do and you don't even think about it.

• BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
    553 karma

And for questions with what the author agrees , you treat them as MUST BE TRUE. So given the facts, you want the statement the author would undoubtedly agree with. All the answers with the extra ideas and such are usually just trick answers.

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

There are often specific words that give away what the author thinks about the subject in the passage (fortunately, unfortunately, etc). When you see those words, it should trigger an alarm in your head: this shows the author's POV! and maybe make a physical note on the paper. I haven't done RC in a while but I'll try and update my answer when I do.