PT66.S4.Q17 - although pluto has an atmosphere

navacuenca92navacuenca92 Alum Member
edited October 2017 in Law School Admissions 57 karma

Hello everyone,

I'm struggling a bit with this question. It is a Necessary Assumption question, and when I read it, I thought I had identified the assumption. I thought "To be considered a planet, a celestial body could not have formed in orbit around another planet". The question that seemed must appropriate was E, which stated kind of the same but worded out differently (And it was actually the correct answer). What threw me off about E was the last part of the AC "It must have formed around the sun exclusively". The stimulus never refers to he sun, nor to this solar system specifically. It just says "Pluto is not a Planet, because it formed around Neptune". Maybe, if the AC said "for a celestial body to me considered a true planet within our solar system, it must have formed in orbit around the sun exclusively", it would've made more sense to me. What threw me off is that there could be other unknown ways in which a celestial body is formed in other solar systems that do not involve "the sun" (taken that "the sun" is exclusively the only star that is within our solar system and not other stars). What if a celestial body in another solar system also is considered a planet because it was formed in orbit around their star/sun? Then that celestial body would not be considered a planet according to answer choice E.

Any help is appreciated!
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-66-section-4-question-17/

Comments