Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Character and Fitness- Traffic Violation Question

Sarah889Sarah889 Alum Member
edited October 2017 in Law School Admissions 877 karma

"Have you ever, either as an adult or a juvenile, been cited, ticketed, arrested, taken into custody, charged with, indicted, convicted or tried for, or pleaded guilty to, the commission of any felony or misdemeanor or the violation of any law, or been the subject of any juvenile delinquency or youthful offender proceeding?...Do not report parking violations."

So I was issued a speeding ticket that ended up being reduced in court to a parking violation. I'm not sure if I should report this, considering they specifically say not to report parking violations...I don't want it to come across as though I am ignoring their request to not report parking violations, but I am also not sure if the fact that I was initially issued a speeding ticket changes things.

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Hm I was issued a speeding ticket and the cop didn't show up to court when I challenged it so it was thrown out. I guess no need to report that either?

• 193 karma

correct to my understanding of these rules. Unless you were found guilty in front of a judge, or you simply paid the fine, you don't need to report. You could always call the Admissions office, and they will happily tell you exactly what they want.
    I'm worried about that I don't remember from so many years ago. I think I got a ticket in 1993 or 94 maybe? Another one in 2003, and I think I got one somewhere in between or so, and a fourth one in 2007. I don't remember any details though.

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

@catgonzalez1974 said:
    correct to my understanding of these rules. Unless you were found guilty in front of a judge, or you simply paid the fine, you don't need to report. You could always call the Admissions office, and they will happily tell you exactly what they want.
    I'm worried about that I don't remember from so many years ago. I think I got a ticket in 1993 or 94 maybe? Another one in 2003, and I think I got one somewhere in between or so, and a fourth one in 2007. I don't remember any details though.

Call the DMV and get your record.

• 193 karma

excellent idea.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Although the language above does say specifically "cited" not just convicted. It doesn't hurt to disclose, correct? (I don't think anyone will look negatively on a speeding ticket, but might look negatively on not disclosing one.)

At least one app that I looked at said also "even if it has been expunged". But it sounds like every school is different on what they require.

• Sarah889Sarah889 Alum Member
    877 karma

@"Leah M B" That is my understanding as well, but I've come to realize that some schools request us not to disclose minor parking violations. I want to be cautious about being over-inclusive if it has the potential to cause me to appear as though I am ignoring their specifications.

Regarding other traffic infractions, I'm disclosing everything, even though my driving record cites 0 infractions. Unless of course, the school specifically asks me not to include "minor traffic infractions", which some of them do.

8392 karma

@Sarah889 Totally, for that one specifically seems like it'd be best to contact admissions and clarify since there's an argument both ways.

And @"Dillon A. Wright", good tip! I honestly hadn't thought of that, haha. I have a couple speeding tickets from my more youthful days back in 2001-2002 or so but I don't think I have any way of knowing when they exactly occurred. But pulling my driving record, duh!

• speedwagonspeedwagon Alum Member
    393 karma

How are y'all handling it when you have had a driver's license in multiple states? You are perhaps surprised to hear that the NYS DOL is not very helpful and maybe my google-fu is off but I can't turn up a definitive answer. Have you requisitioned a full history from everywhere that you had a license?

8392 karma

@speedwagon said:
    How are y'all handling it when you have had a driver's license in multiple states? You are perhaps surprised to hear that the NYS DOL is not very helpful and maybe my google-fu is off but I can't turn up a definitive answer. Have you requisitioned a full history from everywhere that you had a license?

Yes and no - I've had a license in 3 states but know that I've only had infractions in 2 of them. So I requested full history for the 2 that I wanted to double check. One of them (of course, the one I most need) has to be done by mail (and had to include a check for $1.50! lol) so fingers crossed it's processed semi-quickly. But of course again, DMV. So who knows... if I don't get the records by the time I have to submit, I'll just do my best to estimate. I know I had speeding tickets and roughly when they occurred.

• speedwagonspeedwagon Alum Member
    393 karma

@"Leah M B" thanks! I pulled mine from the state I grew up in where I was sure I had a ticket...none was listed. Maybe I'm misremembering? NY State also requires you to mail a check (of course) and a paper form. I am not even sure I have a check. This game!

• JennaV33JennaV33 Member
    28 karma

Almost this exact question was asked at my undergrads law school panel! A young woman had a ticket for driving too fast in the rain and had it reduced to a parking violation. Every law school in attendance STRONGLY said disclose. They said nobody has even been denied for being forward about a small speeding infraction, but they have been dismissed from the Bar for not being upfront and though it is extreme and 99.999% would not happen for something like a very minor infraction, it is always better to disclose to protect yourself.