Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Translation of "derive solely from"

akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
edited October 2017 in Logical Reasoning 9377 karma

I have a question regarding a logical translation of "derive solely from." This is from the answer choice (D) in PT62.S4.Q15. https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-62-section-4-question-15/

This question is an easy PSA question, and the argument is basically like this:

P: A counterfeit doesn't give any less aesthetic pleasure than a real diamond
   ——–——–
   C: A real diamond and a counterfeit are equally valuable

So we need "Pleasurable --> Valuable." And (D) is the only answer choice that says something close:

The value derive solely from the pleasure. (modified version of answer choice (D) in PT62.S4.15)

Is it ok to translate this as "If it is pleasurable, it is valuable"?

Pleasurable --> Valuable

In the video, J.Y. says that D is saying "How much is it worth? The only thing you gotta check is aesthetic pleasure it provides" so I think it is ok to translate as above, but I can also interpret it as:

The value depends on the pleasure.

And I think it would mean:

Valuable --> Pleasurable

Can you help me figure out what derive solely from means?

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

“Derive solely from” is really strong language.

The way I approached it was to translate the phrase:

“Derive solely from” = “can only come from”

For instance;

• something’s value can only come from the pleasure it provides.

In which case;

Value -> Pleasure

This thing has X value, then it must provide Y pleasure.

At least this is how I understand it.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

Thank you @LSATcantwin !

But PT62.S4.Q15 is a PSA question with a stimulus basically saying this:

P: A real diamond and a counterfeit have the same aesthetic pleasure
    ——–——–

So I think the correct answer should say “Pleasure —> Valuable” :confused:

Am I missing something?? :confounded:

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@akistotle said:
    Thank you @LSATcantwin !

But PT62.S4.Q15 is a PSA question with a stimulus basically saying this:

P: A real diamond and a counterfeit have the same aesthetic pleasure
    ——–——–

So I think the correct answer should say “Pleasure —> Valuable” :confused:

Am I missing something?? :confounded:

I was just grappling with it some more because I noticed that.

It helps me to take this out of conditional logic.

Value is tied to pleasure. If value increases then pleasure increases. If value decreases then pleasure decreases.

It works opposite also. If pleasure increases then value increases. If pleasure decreases then value decreases.

The right answer choice is just saying that pleasure depends only on value and nothing else. So if they have equal value, then they then they have equal pleasure. If they have equal pleasure than they have equal value.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited October 2017 10774 karma

When you write pleasurable ---> valuable, you are missing out the nuances and depth of the stimulus. The stimulus is saying if two things give equal pleasure then we should value them equally.

Instead of just finding an answer choice that says pleasure therefore valuable, you want to see how you can determine two things would be of equal value.

So if I say value is calculated solely from measuring the amount of pleasure a thing gives and I plug this premise into our stimulus where we know the real and fake diamond give equal pleasure -based on this information what can you conclude about their value? You would then say, the two things are equal in value making the conclusion in our stimulus valid.

So although its helpful to see that we need to connect premise to conclusion, if you just look for premise --> conclusion you can miss out the many ways the LSAT writers can give the same answer to you. It's not that if pleasurable then valuable, but more like if we know the amount of pleasure two things give we can determine their value because pleasure is the only thing that we need to take into consideration.

I hope that helps Akiko. Let me know <3

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

Thank you @LSATcantwin and @Sami!!! It all makes sense now. I should get out of the habit of always mechanically translating LR stimulus & answers.

https://lovelace-media.imgix.net/uploads/8/82bdc230-7447-0133-ed15-0aa00699013d.gif