Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst scores just before the LSAT, help!

carreno.katecarreno.kate Alum Member
edited September 2014 in General 135 karma
I've been consistently within the 167-170 range since June. I can't imagine that I've lost any knowledge or skill in the past week, but my scores have dropped. I scored a 164 on PT 70, and a 166 on PT 72. Logically, I think it's the pressure of the impending administration getting to me, but I can't help but think that somehow the other tests were a fluke, or that the PT's in the 70's are harder than those in the late 60's. I know these recent scores are still "good," but I also know they are not my best. My confidence has definitely taken a blow, and I'm not sure what I can do to regain it in the next week. I had PT 71 scheduled for Monday, should I risk taking it and scoring poorly right before the test? Or should I just work on my confidence? I've put more into this test than I thought I ever could, and I'm utterly disappointed that this is happening with 7 days left. If anyone has experienced something similar to this, I would tremendously appreciate your advice. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• dictronic110dictronic110 Alum Member
    67 karma
    Retake the test that you're not satisfied with. It's like "fool proof" the whole test. But I think it not only boosts your confidence but also makes all the stuff in the test sink up your head. Good luck!
  • carreno.katecarreno.kate Alum Member
    135 karma
    That's a good idea, thanks! I'll try that! (:
  • chrijani7chrijani7 Alum Member
    827 karma
    I am right there with ya! I was scoring around mid 160's all over August and beginning of September, with a high of 170 and low of 165. However my last two tests , PT 67 & 70, have been a TRAIN WRECK. I am definitely one of those people that has major issues with nerves. I scored 159 on both 67&70, before I even checked the answers on PT 67 I reprinted it and did it without time, and my BR was 173. So I know I understand the test, and I know that your score is naturally going to drop a bit from BR to when you include time, but going from 173 BR to 159 seems kind of steep to me. I noticed that a lot of LR problems I actually finished in about a minute anyways without time but they gave me so much trouble during the real thing. I don't know what to do either, it has been a major blow for me. I have been at this test for so long and was finally feeling good thinking I'd be able to get my target score and get this over with (165+), but now it seems like I will have to rewrite. At this point, I don't think there is much you can do, you know what you know... just keep at it, try not to let it go to you, and do your best. Trust me, I know it is easier said than done, but reality is... what else can we do? It's not like some miracle is going to happen over the next 7 days that makes everything okay, and those nerves aren't going anywhere, if anything there going to get worse.

Also interested in what others think/are experiencing.
  • laura.myers63laura.myers63 Free Trial Member
    32 karma
    Do you have a routine before your PTs? The last few weeks I've done the exact same thing before each PT - wake up at the same time, leave the house at the same time, egg sandwich, two iced teas, etc. Yesterday, I just woke up, ate some cereal and started in on PT 68. It went TERRIBLE. But today I went back to my routine and did well on PT 69.
  • laura.myers63laura.myers63 Free Trial Member
    32 karma
    In conclusion, shake it off. Which is both my advice and the song I listen to as the final piece of my routine.
  • polsckenpolscken Alum Member
    199 karma
    Crap. I'm glad everyone else is going through this too. I've had real trouble with my last three. I was averaging 167s, but on 69-72 I've been hitting 161-4. Really stressful.
  • madeleinemadeleine Alum Member
    259 karma
    Do not sweat it. I took in Dec. 2013; scored 5 pts lower than avg on my final PT, and scored 2 pts HIGHER than avg. on the real thing. FEAR NOT.
  • chrijani7chrijani7 Alum Member
    827 karma
    Praying I have a similar experience :D
  • Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
    1049 karma
    I'd definitely recommend BRing those two PTs.

It's not uncommon for this to happen now - with all the pressure - especially if you're trying to cram in a lot of studying or PTs - remember, your brain can't handle too many in a row. At least space them out in the home stretch.
  • madeleinemadeleine Alum Member
    edited September 2014 259 karma
    Also, in the same bizarre vein, just graded one from this morning. My dumb room mate barged in at 3:45 AM from a Sam Smith concert and the door slammed and shook the whole place (i actually love her, but she was a total jerk for that). I never got back to sleep and finally just got out of bed and went to take it at 7:00 am instead of 8:30. I expected to BOMB. I did 1+ avg. The LSAT universe is strange.