PT49.S2.Q18 - nature evolves organically and nonlinearly

JSJS Free Trial Member
edited December 2015 in Logical Reasoning 184 karma
Stimulus:
New Age philosopher: nature evolves organically and nonlinearly...

Flaw question.

I am down to B and E

B: overlooks the possibility that the overall structure of a phenomenon is not always identical to the overall structure of the reasoning that people do about that phenomenon.

I don't know why B is wrong. It seems to me that in the stimulus philosopher claim that the overall structure of a phenomenon (Nature) is organic, holistic, nonlinear. And also philosopher recommend we use the identical overall structure of the reasoning(organic, holistic, nonlinear) to understand that phenomenon, which is exactly what B says.
http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-49-section-2-question-18/

Comments

• CJ ShinCJ Shin Free Trial Member
    302 karma
    Ah, this one was really tough for me too.
    The reason why B is wrong is how it is worded.
    The key phrase that strikes it out is "overall structure."
    Is the author really talking about the overall structure of nature vs. overall structure of reasoning?
    This is one of those answer choices that sort of describes the content of the stimulus but is ultimately not what it appears to be.

If you read closely, the flaw lies in the author's assumption that the best type of reasoning shares the same "characteristic" as the phenomenon it is intending to reason.

For example, football is a very physical and aggressive sport. Therefore, the best way of understanding football is through physical and aggressive reasoning.

Do you see the flaw?
  • JSJS Free Trial Member
    184 karma
    Yeah I know why E is right but I still confused about B.

In the stimulus, philosopher claim that the overall structure of a phenomenon (Nature) is organic, holistic, nonlinear. And also philosopher recommend we use the identical overall structure of the reasoning(organic, holistic, nonlinear) to understand that phenomenon, which is exactly what B says.

"a phenomenon that can be understood as having certain properties" and "overall structure of a phenomenon" what's the difference of these two terms ? really trapped me here.
  • CJ ShinCJ Shin Free Trial Member
    302 karma
    I understand your frustration.. I also got this one wrong during PT.
    But you know, making mistakes is the best way to learn.
    I think this question is a really good example of learning to see the types of answer choices that LSAT writers LIKE.
    In a non-LSAT world, answer choices B and E would pretty much mean the same thing.. but, yea, you are taking the LSAT so an apparently negligible difference can be that difference when it comes to right or wrong.

Look at B and E again. Would you say that being ORGANIC, HOLISTIC, NONLINEAR is a STRUCTURE, or CHARACTERISTIC?
  • JSJS Free Trial Member
    184 karma
    Thank you for your patience.

For me, organic (consisting of different parts that are all connected to each other)seems to be a structure. But holistic and nonlinear seems to be characteristic. :)
  • paulfan2011paulfan2011 Free Trial Member
    125 karma
    Another cleverly worded wrong answer choice. I actually have a different interpretation that does not focus on the word STRUCTURE and CHARACTERISTIC.

Two things are being compared in the stimulus, a phenomenon (nature) and the reasoning used to understand that phenomenon. The argument falsely claims that the method we use to understand a phenomenon must be the same as the characteristic of the phenomenon itself. The method to understand a phenomenon and the characteristic of the phenomenon has nothing to do with each other.

Now look closely on what is being compared in answer choice B: the overall structure of the phenomenon and PEOPLE'S reasoning of the phenomenon. The argument is focused on what is the best way to understand a phenomenon, not about what are the people's current method of understanding.