Mis-read in LR - how to avoid

sjiang666sjiang666 Alum Member

I just finished PT 73 and got 6 wrong in the 26-question LR section. I had about 5 min left after I finished the first round and circled 4 questions (answered but wanted to double check). I checked them all with the time left. However, none of the circled questions were wrong. I re-read the wrong questions without checking the videos and easily find where goes wrong: I mis-read a lot and moved on without checking all answers.

How do you avoid mis-reading, particularly in LR?

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

My problem is that I circle way too much, but I think yours is the opposite. I guess you should circle more.

Overconfidence errors occur when you move on too quickly. As for how to avoid misreading, is there a pattern in the way you misread?

I’m pretty sure LSAT writers studies the way people tend to misread and design other answer choices in the scenarios where misread the stimulus.

• amedley88amedley88 Alum Member
    378 karma

I hate it when I misread things in LR and it happens almost every time I do it timed. Unfortunately, I think the only answer is to keep practicing it timed and sharpen your reading skills that way. When I'm doing LR timed I always make sure to paraphrase what the stimulus is saying instead of just reading it word for word, kind of like how J.Y. does it in the video explanations, that seems to help!

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

I read with my pencil down and circle/underline keywords (not a ton of notes). I struggle with misreads too and I am working very hard to train myself out of it. As you've seen, it's a major cause of over-confidence errors and you'll never be able to consistently score high with an unknown variable in confidence errors -- gotta nip it in the bud. I've also learned that finding the right pace to work through a section helps. Speed can come from strong logic and an efficient process for eliminating AC choices, but it shouldn't come from rushing through a section (my problem).