Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Logic Textbook

ancienlucienancienlucien Alum Member
in General 34 karma

Hi, what are some of the best intro to logic textbooks out there? I am looking to learn more about logic fundamentals and considering reading several books to improve my logic understanding. Thanks.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2017 23929 karma

I read Intro to Logic by Gensler in undergrad for a very basic logic course. It's easy to read and written especially for beginners. You also can get away with only reading the first 8 chapters or so, the rest I think it much more advanced than anything you're going to see on the LSAT.

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

This book is known for being one of most accessible on learning formal logic. The first three or so chapters are probably sufficient for LSAT purposes. A little expensive, yes; hopefully you can find a PDF or something online. :)

https://www.amazon.com/Logic-Paul-Tomassi/dp/0415166969

• ancienlucienancienlucien Alum Member
    34 karma

Thanks for the recommendations guys! @"nicolas.saw" and @"Alex Divine"

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@kudjo1982 said:
    Thanks for the recommendations guys! @"nicolas.saw" and @"Alex Divine"

You got it!

I actually took a quick check into the book @"nicolas.saw" recommended and it looks really good as well. I will say that while these books helped me begin my prep with some knowledge on conditional logic, I think your time may be better spent re-doing lessons on here or maybe even checking out MLSAT LR or The LSAT Trainer. In any case, if you have ample time before the test and really want to learn the deep logical underpinnings of the LSAT, by all means check out these books. I just wanted to make it clear that I think the logic lessons on here or in most LSAT books are sufficient for understanding the logic you'll need to do well on this test :)

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

If you want a book to help you with the LSAT, I don't think you're being efficient.
    If you find the subject interesting, I would suggest looking into digital logic instead. It overlaps with logic, but you get exposure to another discipline which IMO is valuable.

If you're interested, let me know and I can give you a textbook recommendation and a youtube series suggestion.

34 karma

@10000019 thanks for the feedback. what is your textbook recommendation?

34 karma

@"Alex Divine" thanks. I am also considering getting LSAT Trainer. I have read good reviews about it. What are your thoughts?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2017 23929 karma

@kudjo1982 said:
    @"Alex Divine" thanks. I am also considering getting LSAT Trainer. I have read good reviews about it. What are your thoughts?

I'm a big fan of The LSAT Trainer. I think it's great for mindset and strategy. It takes a more intuitive approach that compliments 7Sage's logic-driven approach to logical reasoning.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@kudjo1982 said:
    @10000019 thanks for the feedback. what is your textbook recommendation?

ISBN-13: 978-0134638942
    That is the book I started with. Doesn't have the best reviews, but it's solid IMO.
    I can't recall the name of the course I was following along with online, but I recall it being in Australia and the lecturer was an Israeli PhD student.

34 karma

@10000019 this is very helpful. thanks!