Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I recorded myself taking a PT, now what?

edited November 2017 in General 1025 karma

I just scored a 161 timed and a 174 BR on PT 69 (shooting for 170 by dec). I watched the recording of myself taking the PT and wrote down the time I spent on each question, but how can I effectively find some common/frequent problems I am making by analyzing the film? I don't have a particular reason why I scored a -13 on LR timed when I got -2 in BR other then the fact some questions took 2-3 mins.

I just sent a message to a few 7sage tutors for some help (thank you @akistotle for the advice).
Does anyone have particular things to look for when watching a video of PTing?

Comments

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    edited November 2017 1091 karma

This is only a little nugget of help, but watch out for LR questions where you quickly zero'd in on the right answer, felt confident, but spent a lot of time double checking regardless. For some top scorers having the confidence to pick an answer choice and confidently move on is one of the ways they keep good time on LR.

Also look out for questions where you wasted a lot of time on the first pass and still skipped them. You should try and get a feel for when you're getting nowhere with a question, so that you can skip it before you waste too much time.

• edited November 2017 1025 karma

@"Rigid Designator" This is really helpful!! I had one question where I got it right in 30 secs and moved on at 90 secs.
    Also, I had a 150 sec question where I gave no answer and I also didn't eliminate any ACs before I skipped it.

So I should work on cutting losses then on those questions that feel like they went over my head then. I need to find my confidence level and trust it. I tried doing one of those drills and it felt like it didn't help at all. I find it hard to find a 'confidence level' with it being so abstract and the questions I judge it off of being so volatile. Did you do confidence drills?

Thanks (:

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    edited November 2017 1091 karma

I have done confidence drills but I am a bit like yourself and I actually have a hard time judging my confidence, so I don't feel I get much out of them. Sometimes I think you do just have to bring the attitude of 'cut your losses'. Or maybe look at it as 'avoid the sunk cost fallacy'.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

Think of your time as a currency. You want to spend it wisely. Your footage and time break downs is kinda like reviewing your receipts from the last month and getting mad at yourself for spending $400 at restaurants.

Look at where you got good returns on your time and where you got poor returns. This is what you're really addressing with footage. Learn to get better returns and the footage will have done its job.

• 1025 karma

Thank you @"Cant Get Right". That analogy clears things up.

By the way, I sent you an email yesterday! I am looking for a tutor still. Are you available?

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

@TheDeterminedC said:
    Thank you @"Cant Get Right". That analogy clears things up.

By the way, I sent you an email yesterday! I am looking for a tutor still. Are you available?

Glad to help! And I'm actually going through my inbox right now, so I'll get back with you on tutoring there.