Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Do You Take Notes As You Go Through The Course?

170ORBUST9192170ORBUST9192 Alum Member
in General 65 karma

Started by taking notes in a notebook. Title each section of my notes with the name of that stop on the course. But it is starting to feel tedious/think there is a better way of doing this.

Comments

• ML_LSAT_KillaML_LSAT_Killa Alum Member
    267 karma

i have only started a couple of weeks ago, but I have been typing my notes within 7Sage. Sometimes I will just copy paste parts from what I read, sometimes i will do the side by side...and type as it goes or rewatch and type, i really like doing it this way. also if you click course "my notes" it brings in those titles from each part...so you don't have to type them in/or write them anywhere and if you go back and rewatch the notes are there too to follow along. I do print off problem sets and write on them (like with how long it took me) but for everything else i just keep it electronic. would be interested to hear what others are doing too :) .

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

That is a good question. I completed the CC a few months ago and stumbled through that process. I find that I almost never return to the notes I wrote under the sections even though I do return to the modules time to time. However I did the same method you are doing for the most part. My own learning lends itself better to hand-written notes than typing. I did, however, type lots of question analyses throughout the cc and I suggest that to everyone because it forces you face your own gaps in reasoning and understanding.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited November 2017 1777 karma

I started to take notes at the beginning of the CC. I have never once looked through them. Things seem to really build on each other, which serves as a little bit of a review from past sections. I bought a white board/cork board combo that I dedicated to LSAT stuff, and that has been really helpful. (I hung it right above my desk so I can see it when I'm learning.) I posted some notes that I think are helpful for me, such as "premise, because, conclusion" and a few valid/invalid argument forms, along with the conditional indicators pdf. I use the white board section for my weekly study schedule (copied from the 7sage scheduling tool) and notes for things to drill. Maybe I'm a little neurotic, but hopefully that sparked an idea for you.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I would take notes by hand as I went through the lessons. Later, I would type them up because I have illegible handwriting. Plus I found typing them up re-instilled what I had learned.

I recommend taking notes whether you ever return to them or not. To be honest, I rarely returned to many of the notes I took while going through the CC; however, the simple act of taking them forced me to remain in an active learning mode and ensured I paid attention and grasped all of the concepts before moving on. If after a lesson I couldn't write down all of the major takeaways, clearly I didn't understand something.

Not sure if there's a better or more efficient way to do it. There's a built-in module to take notes in the app that I've found pretty helpful when I'm in a pinch and don't have my notebook.

• 170ORBUST9192170ORBUST9192 Alum Member
    65 karma

ML_LSAT_Killa,

Thanks for your comment. I like that system. Especially since a few weeks back I lost the notebook I've been taking notes from the Powerscore LR Bible since late 2016 :neutral:

65 karma

Jkatx1488,

Good sugguestion. I'll incorporate something similar. Above all, seems like I should definitely use the notes section in the module.

65 karma

samantha.ashley92,

That neuroticism gets one a 170+. It definitely sparked an idea, thank you.

And Alex Divine - your comment sparked a good idea. I'll just write in a notebook, and then type in the module immediately after. I'm the same way int hat just writing soemthing down by hand feels like an organic method of learning (it's how humans have done it for thousands of years before computers - that experience has to genetically pre-dispose us to writing). Plus, by writing and then typing, I'm triple reinforcing this knowledge.

Thanks everyone.