Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Non-required Application Questions

jack.igoejack.igoe Member
edited January 2018 in Law School Admissions 544 karma

Comments

• jack.igoejack.igoe Member
    544 karma

Bump. Does anyone have any suggestions or personal experience with these questions?

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I'm not really sure about the "which schools are you applying to" question. It seems a little odd to me to ask that, not sure how important it is.

For me, I'm a non-traditional and would never answer a question about my parents' income. I can't really advise you on how much that matters (I know it matters less for me, since I'm over 30). But I would suppose if questions are optional, it really is optional. If you're required to have your parents submit FAFSA or something, they'll find that out anyway.

So basically, I have no idea. Haha.

• jack.igoejack.igoe Member
    544 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    I'm not really sure about the "which schools are you applying to" question. It seems a little odd to me to ask that, not sure how important it is.

For me, I'm a non-traditional and would never answer a question about my parents' income. I can't really advise you on how much that matters (I know it matters less for me, since I'm over 30). But I would suppose if questions are optional, it really is optional. If you're required to have your parents submit FAFSA or something, they'll find that out anyway.

So basically, I have no idea. Haha.

Yeah, me neither! Haha. It seemed like most of the questions are pretty boilerplate but there's a few optional ones that strike me as odd. I wouldn't pay it any attention if it didn't leave such a big blank when I go to review my PDF application before submitting!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Also, what about the Optional Yes or No questions? What do people think?

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited December 2017 3652 karma

One school asked qs about the gender I was assigned at birth and the gender I identify with now....how many of my friends dropped out of high school...the highest level of education my parents have...I highly doubt these are relevant in identifying whether or not you are a good candidate for the school. It's probably just for identifying if you meet the requirements for scholarships or financial aid. If answering the questions makes you seem like a more diverse candidate or if it applies to anything you wrote about in your PS or optional essays, then go for it. otherwise I don't see the point in answering.
    I would rather let my GPA/LSAT and PS speak for itself rather than be judged on some questions about my gender identity, where my friends from high school are at, and my parents education level.