Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to get 5 points increase in the next 1.5 months?

WhatAmIEvenWhatAmIEven Alum Member
in General 102 karma

Hey guys! I need a couple more points for the February test. What are some "last-minute" measures I should take? I just go the LSAT trainer book and is working hard at it. What else should I do?

Comments

• Nicolas1997Nicolas1997 Member
    40 karma

Best thing that I did was to question myself on each kind of question type. Make sure I really understood how to explain and resolve the question. Like, try to explain it to someone else as if they have no idea what you are talking about. Before you can get better, you gotta understand the theory.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@WhatAmIEven I’m in the same boat but I know that I need to do more with RC and stick with fool proofing LG as well because I missed stupid stuff. If you went more than 3-4 on LG focus on fool proofing. Do you know which question types are your weakness? Start there and just grind. Loved The LSAT Trainer from RC and LR btw. I would stick to 7 Sage for LG.

• WhatAmIEvenWhatAmIEven Alum Member
    102 karma

@tanes256 I am best with LG but would love to get more practice just to make sure. I hope LSAT trainer with pull me that 5 points

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

Give us some context--where is you "five points"? For example, moving from 145 to 150 is going to be easier than 165 to 170, or 170 to 175. When you say you're best with LG, are you -0? That's the easiest way to "gain points"; make sure you're always getting at most -2 on LG.

What about your other sections? What's your RC/LR breakdown? Most times it's easier to go from -15 to -10 than -7 to -2.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited December 2017 10774 karma

@WhatAmIEven said:
    Hey guys! I need a couple more points for the February test. What are some "last-minute" measures I should take? I just go the LSAT trainer book and is working hard at it. What else should I do?

You can but the answer to how you go about achieving that depends on a few things.

If you are scoring less than 170 PT average a lot of your point increase has to come from increasing your knowledge.
    This means blind reviewing well, writing down explanations, watching videos, and answering questions on the forums about knowledge.

If you want your points to come from getting more consistent in your scores. For example, if your scores are 166, 167, 170, 172 etc. You want to focus on test taking strategies. Circling questions the right way, not spending too much time, getting the low hanging fruit, purposefully missing questions.

So it really depends on where you are and where you want to go. I think additional information would be more helpful in where you are scoring exactly, what your weaknesses are etc.

102 karma

@kimmy_m66

I am at 161 now and just trying to get over 165. I am usually -0 in LG and sometimes I'd get a -1. My LR and RC are my weakest. Usually I get -6 and sometimes a -8.

102 karma

@Sami I am weakest at LR and RC, my last PT (PT 82) I got a LG -1, LR -9 & -6, RC -8.

102 karma

BTW MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE and THANK YOU FOR YOUR VALUABLE OPINIONS!

• calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
    582 karma

@WhatAmIEven said:
    @Sami I am weakest at LR and RC, my last PT (PT 82) I got a LG -1, LR -9 & -6, RC -8.

So you're losing a LOT on LR. Look at your analytics here on 7Sage and drill like mad.

Also, are you struggling with time? With LR, try out 25 in 25 min. With RC, videotape yourself reading (and annotating). Make sure you aren't spending too much time reading the passages. Regardless of the subject matter, you should shoot for 3.5 min max on reading each passage…you'll inevitably slow down on test day

102 karma

@cal270 yah I am. I’ve been drilling untimed sections and BR-ing for LR. What else should I do?
    Sorry I’m not familiar with “25 in 25 minutes” would you mind explaining?
    I space out a lot and very often I have to go for a second reading after I’ve completed a paragraph in RC, is really awful but I don’t seem to be able to understand it on first try, usually.

• calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
    582 karma

@WhatAmIEven said:
    @cal270 yah I am. I’ve been drilling untimed sections and BR-ing for LR. What else should I do?
    Sorry I’m not familiar with “25 in 25 minutes” would you mind explaining?
    I space out a lot and very often I have to go for a second reading after I’ve completed a paragraph in RC, is really awful but I don’t seem to be able to understand it on first try, usually.

25 in 25 means finishing 25 logical reasoning questions in the first 25 min. You’ll need to skip a few to complete this, so check out the skipping strategies webinar. Let’s say you skip 3 on a section with 26 questions...then you’ll have 10 min left to do the 4 you didn’t already do at the end of the section (25 min in). It’s a way to keep your pace up. It made a big difference for me (and many others here).

As for RC, have you played around with your notation system? Are you running your pencil over every word as you read? Those habits should help prevent you from spacing out. You don’t have time to reread entire paragraphs in a 35 min section

102 karma

@cal270 oh ok...would I have to time myself for every question to make sure I finish under a minute? How can I build myself up to the speed?
    It sounds like a great strategy, btw.
    For RC, I’d write down what I got from each paragraph after I read it. I’ll try the pencil thing, maybe it will help.