NEXT STEPS - need guidance!

lsatgirllsatgirl Free Trial Member

Hi guys,
After much delay, finally took the lsat and my Dec score wasn't what i wanted (164), have a 3.76 gpa from a top 15 for ug, think i have a relatively strong personal statement. what are my options for this admission cycle? cannot fathom (for my own mental stability) punting going back to law school for another year so that's really just off the table for me, unfortunately.

Two questions:
1. Do i have a chance at T14 for this cycle? (or georgetown/ucla?)
2. Is there any point to taking the february lsat? if i do so, do i still apply to all my pending schools with january lsat and then resubmit feb score when it comes in?

Comments

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Sorry to hear about your disappointment with your score.
    Unless you a URM, I'm not sure it looks too good for T14 with those numbers. If you won't push off a year under any circumstances, February LSAT might be your only chance, but that's pretty late, and nothing would be guaranteed. If you have your eyes set on T14 only, then I would strongly suggest pushing off a year.

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    edited December 2017 1028 karma

I'm in a very similar position (disappointed with my 165 in Dec., retaking in Feb. and maybe June too).

If you are shooting for T14 and aiming to attend next fall, retaking is a must. Just check myLSN with your current score and GPA. We are almost certainly going to be fighting to get off waitlists — that's just the reality of a late app, mid 160s score, and decent GPA. We may not get straight-up denied across the board, but we are unlikely to see many outright acceptances. Expect even fewer scholarship offers.

Despite the common advice, the available data suggests that February is by no means a waste of time. Run myLSN with a potential 170+ score – you'll have a reasonable shot at several T14s, and definitely at Georgetown/UCLA, even with a February application. Even the June administration can help with getting off waitlists.

So it comes down to a cost/benefit analysis of either accepting the risk of applying earlier with a lower score and striking out, or applying later with a potentially better score despite fewer available spots in the classes and less available $$$.

Since waiting out another cycle is not an option for you, I would suggest applying to the schools you think you'll be most competitive at with your current LSAT now, but holding off on the other apps at reach schools until your February score will arrive in time to affect their decision (assuming their deadlines permit). This way you can avoid getting auto-waitlisted at schools you may be competitive for acceptance at if you pull up your LSAT.

I am personally planning to submit my apps on Jan. 15, with hopes that they will still be reviewing my file when Feb. scores come in so that my new score might affect my admissions outcome without waiting to apply super late. However, I'm willing to accept the risk of reapplying next cycle if they make their decisions before then.

Also, maybe check out schools like Vanderbilt — similar employment outcomes to GULC, but more realistic for applicants in our current position.

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

@jchamberlainf That was the best and most thorough answer I've ever read.

This. Everything.