Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Group 3 negate sufficient question

jpandljpandl Alum Member

I am doing the flash cards for the group 3 logical indicators and keep coming up with the contrapositive first. Example: There is no punishment without law. The group 3 operator is without I picked “law” made it the sufficient and negated it. The other idea was punishment. So for me it looked like this: /L -> /P. and then my contrapositive is P -> L. I kept doing this on many of them. The flash card showed with P -> L first. I realize that they are just contrapositives of each other but I just started to worry that there may be something wrong with the way I was reading it that would cause me problems in real LR questions.

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

There should not be anything wrong with this approach that would come back to haunt you. As long as you see the statement and its contrapositive correctly, some questions are going to require you to work with the P---->L form and others are going to require you to work with the
    L---->P form to derive either an inference or identify an assumption.

When it comes to group three indicators, I translate the exact way you did above first, mechanically.

David

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

Nope, no problem! That's exactly how I did it in my head, because that translation best fits with the "meaning" of the sentence. It wont affect your test taking as long as you're consistent about it

• jpandljpandl Alum Member
    edited December 2017 112 karma

Thank you