Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could this qualify as a Diversity Statement topic?

hello1002hello1002 Alum Member
edited January 2018 in Law School Admissions 41 karma

The topic is roughly: how I've spent half of my life in the US and half in Asia. I had different "personas" in each place, and I made some choices that I regret that were made based off of those personas. The essay ends with me talking about how I can now be me regardless of context.

I've written a couple rough drafts, and I'm fairly pleased with the essay.
I'm not completely sure if it addresses diversity though.
What does you guys think?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

sounds like a very interesting topic!

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    edited January 2018 4196 karma

I think it could work! However, I think you should be very detailed when writing it, if you haven't already. Go deep into it and explain these different "personas" and how they represent your unique viewpoint. What did you experience living in 2 different places? How did each place influence your persona? how did your differing personas influence your mindset overall? I'd say though, I think you should approach this with a little bit of caution in the way you word your changes in personas. Idk how you wrote it, but you shouldn't make it seem like you're a full on conformist and not your own individual (by saying you changed personas for people, IF that is what you wrote, but if not then you're good!). I think that same idea could be done well in a certain context, but again, the way you word it and express that idea should be done well and not reflect too negatively on you.

Also, you say you end it with 'talking about how I can now be me regardless of context'. I think that is good, as it can be seen as showing some good qualities of you wanting to be yourself no matter what! Like I mentioned before, you should go a bit into detail with this too. If you haven't already, explain HOW you are being yourself now, instead of just saying you are. What are you doing now differently? I know the answer might just simply be 'I'm just being myself' but I'd say give it a little kick and maybe add a tiny bit more to it to be more influential on your reader(s).

Good luck! (:

• hello1002hello1002 Alum Member
    41 karma

Thats fantastic advice. Thanks a lot!!