PT29.S1.Q18 - some planning committee members

eucalyptuseucalyptus Alum Member
edited January 2016 in General 41 karma
Is there a video answer to this question on 7sage? It gave me a lot of trouble.

Thanks!

[Admin edit: Video here: http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-29-section-1-question-18/ ]

Comments

• bluedot423bluedot423 Free Trial Member
    12 karma
    Not a tutor, but I can see how this one could be tricky.

The first part is confusing, and I think this is what tripped you up. You are given seemingly two different groups, but they can actually be linked together as one unit.

The planning committee members also happen to be representing the construction industry so you can think of PC members and people in construction industry as a single unit. So I'll just refer to the PC members/ construction industry unit as PC members from here on out.

So, the first part says this: some of the PC members have financial interests in the decisions of the committee. Using the 'some' arrow, we can represent that statement like this:

PCM <---S---> FI (financial interests)

Thus, if some PC members have FI, we know that some people with FI are PC members.

The wording on the first answer choice is especially tricky, and I think they put it first for a reason to freak people out.

It's basically saying that everyone with Financial Interests is a PC member (it uses construction industry, but remember, PC member and those in the construction industry are essentially one and the same). This definitely could be true, because some could include all, but it's not correct in a 'must be true' question. 'Some' only implies 1 or more, and does not absolutely mean 'all'.

I'm gonna jump to the correct answer (E) now.

So in the second part of the passage, we are told that PC members do not live in the suburbs.

Like we talked about above, since some PC members have financial interests, it can be inferred that some with financial interests are PC members.

Thus, if some with FI are PCM and no PCM live in the suburbs, then it must be true that some with FI don't live in the suburbs.

Hope that helped.

• eucalyptuseucalyptus Alum Member
    41 karma
    Thanks a lot. This definitely helped. And you are exactly right - my mistake was in assuming that construction workers and PC members are two different categories.
  • bluedot423bluedot423 Free Trial Member
    12 karma
    No problem. Good luck.