Application Timing Help - UVA Law

shortnblushortnblu Alum Member

Hi all, I applied to UVA Law via their binding decision as of a few days ago. I am also currently registered to sit for the February 2018 LSAT. Currently my numbers are 167/3.67 which I know is a stretch for UVA.

I am currently stuck on what to do because UVA Adcomm wants me to make a decision on whether I want them to render a decision on my current application within 15 business days of when I submitted or wait until after I receive the Feb LSAT score. Based on the December 2017 LSAT score release starting the trend of beating the score release date I would imagine the Feb LSAT score would come out last week of February. Just to paint a more clear picture, I have been averaging around a 171 on my 30 most recent PTs but I have taken the LSAT twice now and have been unable to translate it on the test (scoring a 167 twice). So I think realistically I could improve my score to a 168/169 but not very confident to get any higher than that.

What would you guys do?

1. Have UVA make a decision on my current stats by early February.

or

1. Wait until the February LSAT score to have the final decision made which is extremely late in the cycle.

Comments

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

Since it is binding and you therefore are unlikely to get a scholarship either way I would go with after the February test if you think you can do at all better.

• shortnblushortnblu Alum Member
    48 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    Since it is binding and you therefore are unlikely to get a scholarship either way I would go with after the February test if you think you can do at all better.

The more I've thought about it the more this route makes sense. I think if there were ever a time to wait for Feb lsat score, it would be this year since it seems like the GRE has finally pushed LSAC to change their game up and release scores quicker. Thanks for your input!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@shortnblu said:
    Hi all, I applied to UVA Law via their binding decision as of a few days ago. I am also currently registered to sit for the February 2018 LSAT. Currently my numbers are 167/3.67 which I know is a stretch for UVA.

I am currently stuck on what to do because UVA Adcomm wants me to make a decision on whether I want them to render a decision on my current application within 15 business days of when I submitted or wait until after I receive the Feb LSAT score. Based on the December 2017 LSAT score release starting the trend of beating the score release date I would imagine the Feb LSAT score would come out last week of February. Just to paint a more clear picture, I have been averaging around a 171 on my 30 most recent PTs but I have taken the LSAT twice now and have been unable to translate it on the test (scoring a 167 twice). So I think realistically I could improve my score to a 168/169 but not very confident to get any higher than that.

What would you guys do?

1. Have UVA make a decision on my current stats by early February.

or

1. Wait until the February LSAT score to have the final decision made which is extremely late in the cycle.

Unfortunately, with your stats as they are now (3.67/167) there's no a good chance of being admitted to UVA. If you can get your score up to a 169/170, your chances will go up significantly. I think if you apply ED with your stats as they are you are putting yourself at a great risk of being dinged before you even get to sit for February.

I'd say to take in Feb and tell them to wait before making a decision.

Best of luck :)

48 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Unfortunately, with your stats as they are now (3.67/167) there's no a good chance of being admitted to UVA. If you can get your score up to a 169/170, your chances will go up significantly. I think if you apply ED with your stats as they are you are putting yourself at a great risk of being dinged before you even get to sit for February.

Thanks Alex! I think I'm going to stick with waiting. Here comes that final two week push of studying...

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@shortnblu said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

Thanks Alex! I think I'm going to stick with waiting. Here comes that final two week push of studying...

You got this!

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

I would agree to wait and hope for the best in Feb. All signs point toward increased urgency on the part of LSAC to release scores quickly, which will help. If, God forbid, you don't up your score, I don't think the extra month of delaying would have a massive impact on your chances. Overall I think the potential benefit of a higher score definitely outweighs the negatives of delaying slightly.

• jatuck16jatuck16 Member
    4 karma

I know someone with a 3.9 with a 161 that was recently accepted into UVA law...

48 karma

@Alex said:

@shortnblu said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

You got this!

Thanks for all the advice on telling me to wait!! I just got my feb score back tonight and got a 171! Hopefully that can translate to an acceptance.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

I hope it does! Word of caution, I applied in late November and still haven't gotten a decision, so don't be surprised of you are waiting thru may

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Something to keep in mind. About 60 percent of admits haven't received scholarship offers for UVA, meaning they are paying sticker if they decide to attend. I would try to get a couple more LSAT points if I were you, especially if my LG section was less than perfect.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@shortnblu said:

@Alex said:

@shortnblu said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

You got this!

Thanks for all the advice on telling me to wait!! I just got my feb score back tonight and got a 171! Hopefully that can translate to an acceptance.

Congratulations! It seems that you choose right. Hopefully, it pays off.

48 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    Something to keep in mind. About 60 percent of admits haven't received scholarship offers for UVA, meaning they are paying sticker if they decide to attend. I would try to get a couple more LSAT points if I were you, especially if my LG section was less than perfect.

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely consider it.

Not too sure what to make of this February exam since we don't get the detailed results back. But, I think I got very lucky with the RC/LR this time around though. In my previous couple real LSATs I did not miss a single problem in LG and I rarely miss one in practice (yet still ended with a 167 on those). However on the February 2018 LSAT I misread one rule and did not finish half of the last game but still scored way better.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@shortnblu said:

@westcoastbestcoast said:

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely consider it.

Not too sure what to make of this February exam since we don't get the detailed results back. But, I think I got very lucky with the RC/LR this time around though. In my previous couple real LSATs I did not miss a single problem in LG and I rarely miss one in practice (yet still ended with a 167 on those). However on the February 2018 LSAT I misread one rule and did not finish half of the last game but still scored way better.

Hey its possible that the LG section this time around was more difficult so the difficulty for other sections wete balanced accordingly. Or its possible that the LR testef u on question types you were familiar with