Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Study scheduling: what ARE realistic score/ study expectations?

lianaLAWlianaLAW Free Trial Member
in General 44 karma

Hello- I would really appreciate some advice!
Some background info:-
- I'm a junior taking a course overload (GPA 3.88 that I plan to push up to 3.9), heavily involved in extracurriculars and athletics, and seriously considering taking an internship or two this spring, and one in summer semester (since I haven't done a single one yet, and I know law schools really value work experience.)
- I just had a go at my first ever cold diagnostic test and scored a 157. I'm disappointed and stressed by it but optimistic.
- I've decided to take the June LSAT (on the 23rd where I am), giving me 4 months excluding June to study.
- I'm open to repeating it in September if need be, but I would prefer not to have to of course, especially since I plan to apply to schools as early as possible.
- I'm aiming for a score of 172+, so a 15 point increase. I know it's a long shot, but I need it for where I plan to go, and especially to offset my lack of work experience (that I don't think I can realistically remedy much by admission time in early Fall.)

My questions:-
- Given the severe time constraints and all my other commitments, what would a realistic study schedule look like? I would feel best putting in 5-6 hours a day, but I really doubt that's a realistic expectation. I really don't want to slack on my GPA etc. or lose so much sleep that I burn out, but at the same time, this is the only chance I get to... get into the law school that I want. Should I start with 4 hours a day for the first month and see how well I do? Is that unrealistic as well? How far do I have to stretch myself to comfortably get into the 170s?
- Any input on what plan to go with? I think the ultimate+ would be a waste if I can't cover the material. I think I will start with the premium then upgrade as I go. Will that harm my scheduling? I've read that you only really need to do as many practice questions as you happen to need in any section, and to save the rest for drilling later. Is that a good approach?

I'd really, really appreciate any help! Thanks!

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

In case you haven't heard, there's a new additional test date on July 23, 2018! I hope this helps in your planning.

• lianaLAWlianaLAW Free Trial Member
    44 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    In case you haven't heard, there's a new additional test date on July 23, 2018! I hope this helps in your planning.

thanks for letting me know! Unfortunately it will only be offered in North America.

• PARHAM1373PARHAM1373 Free Trial Member
    67 karma

15 isnt a long shot,
    I got a 23 point jump, it’s all a matter of how much you want it and are willing to work for it

44 karma

@PARHAM1373 said:
    15 isnt a long shot,
    I got a 23 point jump, it’s all a matter of how much you want it and are willing to work for it

that's encouraging! Do you mind sharing where you started and ended up, and how long you studied for and how much?

• pioneer321pioneer321 Free Trial Member
    328 karma

Why are you disappointed by a 157 diagnostic? That's a 70th percentile score, and you haven't studied yet. Idk what you are studying, but tbh I don't see how 4 hours per day is realistic on top of overloading in college classes and all of the other stuff you are involved in. I tried studying for lsat during in my last semester of undergrad, and it just wasn't happening on top of all my other commitments. Waiting to study till I was done with college classes, and postponing the test to when I was actually ready, is one my smartest decisions.

If I were you, and was able to do LSAT stuff at all, I would just start with CC, and study as much as you see realistic, without setting a hard daily hours goal. If you see that it's too much, just postpone the LSAT till later. Try to relax a bit about it, the test is bad enough on it's own, so a positive attitude and outlook go a long way.

You said that you decided to do it in June, but do you have any strong reasons to not to postpone till September?

44 karma

@pioneer321 said:
    Why are you disappointed by a 157 diagnostic? That's a 70th percentile score, and you haven't studied yet. Idk what you are studying, but tbh I don't see how 4 hours per day is realistic on top of overloading in college classes and all of the other stuff you are involved in. I tried studying for lsat during in my last semester of undergrad, and it just wasn't happening on top of all my other commitments. Waiting to study till I was done with college classes, and postponing the test to when I was actually ready, is one my smartest decisions.

If I were you, and was able to do LSAT stuff at all, I would just start with CC, and study as much as you see realistic, without setting a hard daily hours goal. If you see that it's too much, just postpone the LSAT till later. Try to relax a bit about it, the test is bad enough on it's own, so a positive attitude and outlook go a long way.

You said that you decided to do it in June, but do you have any strong reasons to not to postpone till September?

thanks! I think that after reading up a bit more here, September is a far better bet. It gives me 7 months to prepare. I'd initially wanted to give myself a chance to repeat it and still apply early, but now I really do think it would be better to take it after more preparation than it is to take it twice, even if I'm risking being unhappy with my score and re-taking it in early December (and having my scores come out too late to take advantage of rolling admissions). I now think 4 hours is unrealistic for sure as well. I will try to aim for 2-3, with a long stretch on weekends and an off day sometime in the week!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Hi there! I think your goal is realistic but it’s going to be a very tough time frame to do it in on top of your other commitments. I agree that it’d probably be better not to commit to a set number of house per day, just try to study as much as you can and see if it works.

157 is a great diagnostic! I started at 155 and it took me about 6 months of consistent studying (about 2 hours per weekday, longer sessions on weekends) on top of working full time to get to consistently in the 168-169 range. Everyone is different though.

I think it’s totally reasonable and realistic that you could make it into that 172+ range but the most likely scenario is that it would take longer to get there. Since you’re still in school, the most important thing is that you keep your grades up. You can always study for the LSAT later, but once your GPA is done there’s nothing you can do about it. It’s crucial that you don’t let your grades suffer for this. It sounds like you have a ton of commitments so just be aware of that and don’t let your grades slip.

There’s also nothing wrong with taking a year or two after undergrad to work and study for the LSAT. Many law schools even favor that and want you to have work experience. So just take a deep breath and remember there is always time for this later too. :)

44 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    Hi there! I think your goal is realistic but it’s going to be a very tough time frame to do it in on top of your other commitments. I agree that it’d probably be better not to commit to a set number of house per day, just try to study as much as you can and see if it works.

157 is a great diagnostic! I started at 155 and it took me about 6 months of consistent studying (about 2 hours per weekday, longer sessions on weekends) on top of working full time to get to consistently in the 168-169 range. Everyone is different though.

I think it’s totally reasonable and realistic that you could make it into that 172+ range but the most likely scenario is that it would take longer to get there. Since you’re still in school, the most important thing is that you keep your grades up. You can always study for the LSAT later, but once your GPA is done there’s nothing you can do about it. It’s crucial that you don’t let your grades suffer for this. It sounds like you have a ton of commitments so just be aware of that and don’t let your grades slip.

There’s also nothing wrong with taking a year or two after undergrad to work and study for the LSAT. Many law schools even favor that and want you to have work experience. So just take a deep breath and remember there is always time for this later too. :)

thanks for your take Leah! I think I do need to be realistic about this, but I do think if I put enough attention towards it I can get there! I haven't ever focused on anything in my life the way that I have been so that gives me cause to be optimistic about my potential for quick improvement. What I've decided to do is make absolute sure my grades don't slip (only start LSAT work after my coursework). I know it's generally much preferred to take time off in between undergrad and law school, but my plan is to go straight from one to the other and I'm trying really hard to make it happen!

• PARHAM1373PARHAM1373 Free Trial Member
    edited January 2018 67 karma

@lianaLAW
    Hey,
    So i actually started around may/june and finished after the december test.
    I didnt study weekends and i skipped a couple months inbetween too, so it wasnt “really” may/june - december.
    I was doing maybe15min-30min every other day near the beginning,
    and in the end around 2-6h daily about 4 days a week. If you’ve got specific/other questions, feel free to inbox me.

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

Also, the test is now in Nov. instead of Dec. so you can take in Sept and retake in Nov. if need be, and still apply before Christmas :)

44 karma

Update: now that the first wave midterm season is upon me I've come to a decision: almost definitely delaying law school by a year! I can't see myself possibly balancing between the GPA and LSAT scores I want, and I'm not dying to experience hardcore burnout! Anyway, I'll be around longer than previously thought. Wish me luck!

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@lianaLAW said:
    Update: now that the first wave midterm season is upon me I've come to a decision: almost definitely delaying law school by a year! I can't see myself possibly balancing between the GPA and LSAT scores I want, and I'm not dying to experience hardcore burnout! Anyway, I'll be around longer than previously thought. Wish me luck!

Good luck! That sounds wise.

I recommend getting some exposure to logic games using the free 7sage logic games explanations and PT 1-35 in the interim anyway though. Just use the foolproofing method and a pace which doesn't interfere with school. It is a good section to really see your progress in and get out of the way before you start your overall prep. It will also show you the potential of studying and of 7 Sage!

https://7sage.com/logic-game-explanations/

https://7sage.com/how-to-get-a-perfect-score-on-the-logic-games/

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

have you thought of waiting a cycle and perhaps taking the exam in september or december? You should be able to get the score increase that you need by that time. If you desire to get into T14, your first priority is to aim for a PT average first rather than aiming for any one specific test administration day. the LSAT is already stressful as is, you will create undue pressure on yourself if you force yourself to take the exam on one specific test day. Ideally, you should be getting a PT average of 3 points above your desired score. Once you are able to do so, you should set your test date at that time.