Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Test Day Advice Needed

I will be testing in just a few days and have to say the majority of my nerves are from not knowing what to expect during the actual test. I have a few (possibly really dumb and/or basic) questions I am hoping someone can assist me with. 1) Is the timer visible at all times (will I be able to tell if I am on a good pace)? 2. I know there is supposed to be more room to write and diagram on the test itself than in the past - is there any guidelines around how much you can or can't write on the test itself? 3. What am I allowed to bring into the room to actually take the test? 4. Any basic advice for a first time test taker in regard to the actual test environment? ..... I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Comments

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

1) Some test centers display a watch, some don't. Best to bring your own.
    2) You can write whatever you want on the test booklet, provided you stay within the section you are working on.
    3) Take a look at the instructions on your admission ticket; they tell you exactly what you may or may not bring with you.

• calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
    582 karma

Hi there! I've taken the test twice now. If you can, try to visit the testing center, just to familiarize yourself with the layout and acclimate to your surroundings.

I had a great testing center where the clock was visible, but definitely bring a watch. There are many threads on this here on 7Sage.

This test should be no different from the last few in terms of space (?), so expect two pages for LG: one with rules and the first question, and then another page (with room at the bottom) for the rest of the questions. LR and RC are the same as always. You can write anywhere on the test booklet, but you don't get scratch paper.

Hydrate but don't overdo it. Once you register and enter the testing room, you won't be able to leave until the break (well, you can leave, but that'll be time taken out of your testing period). In other words, if you register and enter the room around 8:45 or 9, you might only get around to starting the first section at 9:30--it takes a while for everyone to get settled and for people to bubble all the info before testing begins. Then you have 3 35 min sections to sit through. Therefore, be strategic about your fluid consumption and go to the bathroom at the testing center at least once (if not twice) before registering and entering the room.

• skiatook89-1-1skiatook89-1-1 Alum Member
    175 karma

Thank you for the suggestions, I will definitely be taking a trip to the site this week!