Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not struggling with time on RC but rather accuracy

jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member

Hi guys,

RC is by far my worst section. Though I have improved by a point or two, I haven't seen any drastic improvements and I have been studying for a while now.

In the past, I could not get through the entire RC section. Doing timed sections has definitely helped me out in this regard. However, I still struggle with accurately answering the questions.

I score -7 on BR, which clearly indicates that I still can increase my BR score yet I haven't been able to increase my timed score much either despite doing a timed section everyday and then completing BR.

Any suggestions? What strategies have you tried to improve RC?

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I'm not sure what advice to give you, so I'm going to throw an idea out. Work through a timed section you haven't seen before, and tell us how you approach each portion of it. What made you select a certain AC? What made you eliminate certain answer choices? When did you have to reread the passage?

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    edited April 2018 1028 karma

• pioneer321pioneer321 Free Trial Member
    328 karma

@BagelBiter said:
    What question types are you struggling with? Do you notice a specific pattern? Does any particular subject matter in a passage seem to give you extra difficulty?

The answer to any of these questions will help all of us give you much better advice. Using JY's memory method got me out of a slump in RC and brought my average RC score up to -1/-2. Have you done the RC part of the CC yet?

To add to this, if you have already done all the RC stuff in CC, it might worth going over some lessons again to make sure that you are approaching questions methodically and correctly (i.e. going back to the text when you need to, not going back when you don't). This would be even more important if looking at your Analytics, you have question types that you struggle with more than others.

Another thing would be to try experimenting with different reading styles. If you are currently taking 2-2.5 minutes to read the passage, you could try spending a bit more time reading, or do the opposite if you are spending a lot of time in the passage.

Memory method is also obviously great, if you aren't using it yet.

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    630 karma

@pioneer321 said:

@BagelBiter said:
    What question types are you struggling with? Do you notice a specific pattern? Does any particular subject matter in a passage seem to give you extra difficulty?

The answer to any of these questions will help all of us give you much better advice. Using JY's memory method got me out of a slump in RC and brought my average RC score up to -1/-2. Have you done the RC part of the CC yet?

To add to this, if you have already done all the RC stuff in CC, it might worth going over some lessons again to make sure that you are approaching questions methodically and correctly (i.e. going back to the text when you need to, not going back when you don't). This would be even more important if looking at your Analytics, you have question types that you struggle with more than others.

Another thing would be to try experimenting with different reading styles. If you are currently taking 2-2.5 minutes to read the passage, you could try spending a bit more time reading, or do the opposite if you are spending a lot of time in the passage.

Memory method is also obviously great, if you aren't using it yet.

I usually take about 4 minutes per passage and aim for 4 minutes on questions.

I haven't taken 2-2.5 minutes to read a passage, but do you think that helps? I feel like for questions I need to refer back to questions... I usually don't have enough time to reread that area to confirm the passage. @BagelBiter I have tried to eliminate answer choices before rereading the passage again to confirm my chosen answer choice. I have already completed the stuff on RC in CC, however the newer RC sections are giving me more trouble for some reason.

I do struggle a bit more with the comparative passages @pioneer321, hence I complete them last but I average -3 for each passage.

I definitely struggle with questions based on tone, weaken questions, inference based questions or specific detail questions for the most part @10000019 .

How much time do you guys spend on reading the passage and on answering questions? I spend about 4 minutes reading the passage, perhaps I should spend less time on the passage since it doesn't leave me enough time to refer back to the passage to confirm answers.