Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

when to diagram in LR inference?

youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member

Hey all,

I just did #16 from PT 53, Section 1 --

the stimulus has clear conditional logic indicator words ... like "must," "any", etc. but after I watched the video explanation, i realized that answering the question does NOT use conditional logic/diagramming.

when i first tried to do the problem , I tried using conditional logic -- but got no where.

In the JY's video explanation, he doesn't use conditional logic -- EVEN though there are conditional indicator words.

How do you know whether to diagram (or NOT) -- especially when there ARE conditional logic indicator words?

Many thanks!

Comments

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

Rarely will you need to diagram on the actual test. The diagramming training strengthens your intuitions but is not intended to be an active test-taking tool.

• Grey WardenGrey Warden Alum Member
    813 karma

I usually diagram when the information presented in the stimulus is a little simpler. In the question you are talking about there is a lot of information and sometimes diagramming using few letters cannot capture the information which may lead to incorrect inferences or confusion. However, it helps to just keep in mind the conditional structure as you are reading the stimulus. With lots of practice and blind review you will reach a point when the conditional diagramming will happen in your head automatically. I have seen JY using just symbols or a letter in order to represent complication information in the stimulus and referring back to the stimulus in order to see what the conditional is saying.