First Official Practice Prep Test - Timing Issues

harrismeganharrismegan Member
edited October 2014 in General 2074 karma
Okay.
I'm writing the December LSAT. Before I took 7sage, I would usually be between 145-150. I took 7sage, went through all the material, and took my first practice test this morning. I received a mark of 154. Which I'm not happy with.
My reading comp I received 19/26 and my Logic Games were 20/23, so you can see that I really really really struggled with Logical Reasoning.
My plan is to work hard to perfect both the Logic Games and the Reading Comprehension, and work through my Logical Reasoning to improve as much as I can. I'm going to try and do at least 2 prep tests a week, blind review, and correct all of my answers to make sure I understand them.

HOWEVER,
I feel as if I set myself up for failure a bit when I wrote this practice. Usually, I get up at 4 AM to go to the gym, but today, since I was writing it before work, I wrote from 4-7 AM. I gave myself about 20 minutes to wake up, had some water, and ate a small snack.
MOST of my incorrect answers (16) came from that first section. I feel as if I didn't accurately wake myself up enough, and I honestly felt myself letting the time get to me. I was constantly nervous and felt like I couldn't focus.

Does anyone have a similar problem? If you do, how do you deal with it? I feel like, if I got my timing down pat and took control of how nervousness got the better of me, I could do fairly well. I do need a lot more practice, but I feel like I'm on the right track.

Suggestions?

Comments

• harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    I guess I should add that, now that I am in the stage of Blind Reviewing every single answer that I got wrong, I get them all right on the first try.
    So. I truly think that it is a timing/nervous issue that is plaguing me!
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    Yes, 4 AM is thankfully not the time LSAC administers the test. I wouldn't hesitate too much in chalking up a poor performance due to the factors you mentioned.

Remember not to be nervous on a preptest! The goal of prepping is to find the mistakes and root them out. Better to get incorrect answers on a PT than on the actual LSAT. Be happy you found the mistake now, and then eliminate it by review and practice.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
  • turnercmturnercm Alum Member 🍌
    edited October 2014 770 karma
    Studies (somewhere) show that the brain can take up to 2 hours to fully wake up in the morning! try taking the test 2 hours after you wake up. maybe that will help :)
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    Well said Torah! :)
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    Thank you guys :) I felt pretty bad about my mark, but once I thought more about it I realized I kind of set myself up for failure by writing it so early....
  • immanueladeolaimmanueladeola Free Trial Member
    42 karma
    @harrismegan, I had this problem on the actual test! I suppressed all my emotions and nervousness the morning of the September LSAT rather than letting them out and gathering myself mentally before arriving at the test center! My first section was awful; I wasn't sticking with my time strategy, and I got flustered by two difficult questions mid way through it.

So my advice is just take a moment to yourself to prepare yourself mentally before delving into any PT. I think it could help situate your mind and put you in "BEAST MODE" so you can do your best work!

Hang in there and good luck!