Going to Law School open house - what to wear?

I'm assuming business causal? Sport coat okay/recommended?

Comments

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited February 2018 2531 karma

Professional, not sloppy. I'd recommend a long-sleeve polo, no wrinkly, wonky collar (get a new one if you have to); Banana Republic or something similar is fine. Navy chinos and some dark dress shoes, you're killing it. The sport coat is an eh, why not. But, only wear it if it fits you well.

Sorry if this was too specific for you, LOL.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Maybe also get a haircut if you need one.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Didn't mean to hijack but what to say during open house? Treat it like a normal law school visit?

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

I've been to several open houses and most people are dressed casually. My first time I wore business casual clothing with some nice higher-heeled boots, well, what a bad idea. I was so uncomfortable and there was a lot of walking. I now wear jeans with a nice top and loafers. I fit in fine with the rest of the group. But where I think I stand out (and this is for @westcoastbestcoast's question) is when I introduce myself and clearly say my name. I make sure I ask questions and I usually stay close to the tour guide. I make sure I seem interested (most of the time I am!) and make sure I leave by telling them my name again. I always send a thank you email afterward - again, introducing myself. I'm not sure that this is going to work but it doesn't hurt to try.

There are a few people who wear suits and they do stand out but if you are going to wear a suit and you don't introduce yourself or ask questions then I don't see the point. I think the biggest favor you can do yourself is get a list of questions ready and make sure you talk to the tour guide, the admissions officer, and whoever else is there.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@LCMama2017 said:
    I've been to several open houses and most people are dressed casually. My first time I wore business casual clothing with some nice higher-heeled boots, well, what a bad idea. I was so uncomfortable and there was a lot of walking. I now wear jeans with a nice top and loafers. I fit in fine with the rest of the group. But where I think I stand out (and this is for @westcoastbestcoast's question) is when I introduce myself and clearly say my name. I make sure I ask questions and I usually stay close to the tour guide. I make sure I seem interested (most of the time I am!) and make sure I leave by telling them my name again. I always send a thank you email afterward - again, introducing myself. I'm not sure that this is going to work but it doesn't hurt to try.

There are a few people who wear suits and they do stand out but if you are going to wear a suit and you don't introduce yourself or ask questions then I don't see the point. I think the biggest favor you can do yourself is get a list of questions ready and make sure you talk to the tour guide, the admissions officer, and whoever else is there.

Thank you @LCMama2017 for dropping some wisdom!! I will definitely prepare some substantive questions to ask during the tour. Would you also recommend going to the mixer if a law school is hosting a night out in town with faculty and alumni? I have been in that kind of setting with my boss and supervisors (whom I am close with) but haven't been with professors nor faculty so I'm a bit anxious haha.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Open house as in an admitted students day, right? If so, I've heard you can go wearing whatever tbh. If it were me, I'd probably just go in a shirt and jeans. Which is what I will be wearing to any ASD/ASW's I go to actually haha.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:

Thank you @LCMama2017 for dropping some wisdom!! I will definitely prepare some substantive questions to ask during the tour. Would you also recommend going to the mixer if a law school is hosting a night out in town with faculty and alumni? I have been in that kind of setting with my boss and supervisors (whom I am close with) but haven't been with professors nor faculty so I'm a bit anxious haha.

Oh, I totally would go to a mixer if they had one. I tend to be an introvert but if there is a social occasion where I can meet people connected to law school I would totally do it.

Also - just to touch base on what @TheMikey said - I wasn't talking about admitted students day. I have gone to open houses for prospective students where you go on a tour and admissions has an Q&A.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    edited February 2018 3521 karma

So I went to the one for Georgetown recently.

I recommend you wear higher-class casual wear. Say like a nice v-neck sweater, jeans, and nice shoes (not dress shoes, like chukka boots or brown nicer shoes) - something along these lines.

At my open house I had dinner with some of the law professors, so dress how you would for this. They also took us out to some bars later at night. Idk if your school will be doing the same thing, but if they have a "miscellaneous student activities" event set for 8:00pm at night, I would wear something you're comfortable going to a bar in :smile:.

• Harmmanb-1Harmmanb-1 Alum Member
    126 karma

I'm going to wear some chukka boots and will probably have on a polo tucked in, with some khaki type pants. I also don't know if there will be activities after, but if there are, the chukka boots will be comfortable enough I think. I am going to have some ready made questions too, that is a great idea! Thanks everyone.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

@LCMama2017 said:

@westcoastbestcoast said:

Oh, I totally would go to a mixer if they had one. I tend to be an introvert but if there is a social occasion where I can meet people connected to law school I would totally do it.

Also - just to touch base on what @TheMikey said - I wasn't talking about admitted students day. I have gone to open houses for prospective students where you go on a tour and admissions has an Q&A.

ohhh, I see. yeah, I know some schools (e.g. Georgetown) refer to their admitted students day as an open house.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I went to an information session, so a little different, but most everyone was pretty casual. For something where there will be more meet and greet time and interaction, I'd guess that the comments above are right. Casual-ish is ok but dress nicely. Make sure you are comfortable for walking.