Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A weird pattern in my LR consistency? Has anyone come across this?

Redentore3337Redentore3337 Alum Member

Hello 7sage club,

I've noticed in my last three PT's a weird pattern. When I do my first LR, I'm stuck getting -8, but then I'll do a LG section or RC in between before I do my second LR section and on that section I'll get -5, which is the lowest I've gotten on LR so far. Especially when I do RC, then do LR, it feels like running with weights(when I do RC), then running without weights (when I get to LR again). It's both encouraging that I've gotten my first -5 but also I'm wondering if this is not just a random pattern, and I should do some RC-style reading before I take a PT. Wondering if there are others that do some sort of mental startup before they do PT's or if I'm slowly going insane trying to make sense of inconsistencies.

Thanks,
L

Comments

• cstrobelcstrobel Alum Member
    228 karma

Definitely!
    I do a couple questions, maybe a logic game, and read the news before every PT. It's definitely helped me hit the ground running

• Redentore3337Redentore3337 Alum Member
    350 karma

@cstrobel said:
    Definitely!
    I do a couple questions, maybe a logic game, and read the news before every PT. It's definitely helped me hit the ground running

Good to know! Thanks for the confirmation! :)

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

It seems that your brain is being adjusted into LSAT mode after having taken a couple sections, which would explain why your second LR is higher than your first. It is also possible that the second LR is easier for that given test. Its not unheard of for 2 LR sections to have differing difficulties.

• Redentore3337Redentore3337 Alum Member
    350 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    It seems that your brain is being adjusted into LSAT mode after having taken a couple sections, which would explain why your second LR is higher than your first. It is also possible that the second LR is easier for that given test. Its not unheard of for 2 LR sections to have differing difficulties.

Right, thats what I've figured, but I've also heard it the other way around, that sometimes because of exhaustion people do worse on the second LR section. And yes, the second one could have been on average easier. I think what I'm concluding though is that some questions, I know them but I overlook them if I'm mentally not all there, but in other questions, I just flat out get them wrong and should go back and study those, which is exactly what I've found.

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

You might be on to something with getting a better outcome when you do RC first. I'll suggest trying to do this on a few more PTs to see if you get a consistent result. My first section is always off when I take a PT, but doing some sort of warmup with easy questions helps ease me into PT mode.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

Some sort of mental startup before PTs is good.

However, keep it long enough before the PT that you can replicate it on test day. You are not going to get to bring a sample RC section into the testing center to practice on right before the test on the real day. Instead you'll be sitting waiting for everyone to filter in, for the instructions to be read, bubbling in the identifying information, and then testing.

So on your practice tests, I would if possible wake up at least a few hours before do your preparation, eat breakfast, ect, and then would wait a while before actually testing. Maybe meditate, maybe get to the library, cafe, or wherever you are pretending is a test center and people watch for a while, but do something you can do on the actual test day. Additionally, at least a couple times you should fill out those annoying boring bubbles that don't count toward your PT score just to get used to it.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

I could not do the LG on the June 2017 lsat even though they werent that hard bc it was my last section. I think it’s best to just keep doing PTs until you score consistently no matter the order of the sections.