"On Hold" @ Columbia

FiestaNextDoorFiestaNextDoor Alum Member
in General 127 karma

Hey 7Sage!!

I received an email from Columbia expressing my status as "on hold". Apparently, it just means I have to wait a little longer for a decision. Has anyone ever dealt with this? Any tips on things I can do to tip the scale in my favor? They said I could send a LOCI (which I definitely will do), is there a format for this as well? I really hope I get in... Thanks in advance everyone!

Cheers,
Chris

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Did they provide a reason for the hold?

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Congrats on this. Im actually curious about this. Got held at a another school and wondering how to approach this.

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

I don't have much insight on this, but you should definitely check this out.

https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/loci-dos/

• FiestaNextDoorFiestaNextDoor Alum Member
    127 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    Did they provide a reason for the hold?

Yes... they essentially said that the candidate pool is one of the largest and most qualified, so they need more time to consider my application within the context of this kind of candidate pool. I've read that it's essentially a courtesy email and that it means I simply have to wait longer.

127 karma

@Kermit750 said:
    I don't have much insight on this, but you should definitely check this out.

https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/loci-dos/

thank you for sending this over, extremely helpful!

127 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    Congrats on this. Im actually curious about this. Got held at a another school and wondering how to approach this.

check out the link that @Kermit750 posted in the thread! pretty helpful.

• calicolombiacalicolombia Alum Member
    38 karma

@FiestaNextDoor what were you stats if you don't mind me asking? Curious about the hold pool as well.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@FiestaNextDoor said:

Thanks. Good luck on columbia. I hope they accept you. Are your goals biglaw?

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

And to add to the questions, when did you submit your app?
    I've been wondering if this cycle has proven to be as abnormal for applicants who submitted "early" in October or if the applicants from Dec/Jan/Feb are the ones mainly feeling what appears to be an increase in holds and waitlists.

127 karma

@calicolombia said:
    @FiestaNextDoor what were you stats if you don't mind me asking? Curious about the hold pool as well.

3.6/ 163

127 karma

@FiestaNextDoor said:

Thanks. Good luck on columbia. I hope they accept you. Are your goals biglaw?

Yeah, only thing is that I am pretty set on practicing in CA... but Columbia is in my top 3 so I'm going to try to do whatever I can to move the needle.

127 karma

@LindsMitch said:
    I've been wondering if this cycle has proven to be as abnormal for applicants who submitted "early" in October or if the applicants from Dec/Jan/Feb are the ones mainly feeling what appears to be an increase in holds and waitlists.

Same! I applied a couple days before New Years.

• Mia FairweatherMia Fairweather Alum Member
    221 karma

@FiestaNextDoor said:

@LindsMitch said:

Same! I applied a couple days before New Years.

Thank for sharing! Good to know there is still hope in applying later in the cycle!

• calicolombiacalicolombia Alum Member
    38 karma

@FiestaNextDoor said:

@calicolombia said:

3.6/ 163

Hope you get in! And I think a JD from Columbia will leave you in great shape for both Nor Cal and So Cal Big Law if that's what you're interested in.

• Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma

I was held a few weeks ago and submitted a LOCI. I don't think I'd attend, but it can't hurt.