PT1.S4.Q21 - A society in which there are many crimes

LSATBREAKERLSATBREAKER Alum Member
edited March 2018 in Logical Reasoning 94 karma

PT 1 - 4 - 21 MBT

I have a question regarding about conditional logic.

I was able to make the conditional statement from the stimulus as to [ no Laws ----> no Crimes]. Then the contrapositive of this should be Crime -------> Laws.

A. Laws ---> Crime
B. no crimes -------> no laws
C. many laws --------> many crimes
D. some crimes -------> some laws
E. many crimes --------> many laws.

I looked at the answer choices and eliminated A, B, and C for the reasons that they are not satisfying the sufficient condition of the "Crime" (for the contrapositive of original satement). Then, I looked at the answer choice D and saw it as a contender, but I saw E had the same meaning with the indicatior "many."

I am so confused now since I believed that some and many have the equal meaning in conditional logic. (some/many = 0 - 50)
Perhaps I made a mistake in making the conditional statement from the stimulus and made a wrong reason to pick the answer choice D.

I will appreciate any help!

Thank you!

Admin note: edited title

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited March 2018 1804 karma
    1. "Some" and "many" are not synonymous. "Some" includes everything other than none; "many" usually implies a quite significant amount or number, not something like "few."
    2. (E) doesn't have to be true. Many crimes could arise from few laws or even a single law per your conditional translation (which is correct, by the way). Something like "No person or entity in this nation will not (threaten to) steal, rob, kill, harm person or property, set things on fire, withhold from rubbing a kitten's belly, start a riot..."
    3. From a test taker's point of view, if you think (E) is right, then you must concede that (D) too is right - which is impossible, as there is supposed to be only one correct answer.