Interview at Harvard Law - advice?

ABCjordanABCjordan Alum Member

I have never had a law school interview before so I don't know what to expect. Has anyone been through this?

Comments

• Raphael RiveraRaphael Rivera Alum Member
    176 karma

I did, was awful, worst interview I ever had (because of me, not them). But in reality, it was very straightforward: Why law? Why Harvard? If you didnt go to law school for a year, what would you do? What are the strengths of my application? What are the weaknesses?

• ABCjordanABCjordan Alum Member
    59 karma

@"Raphael Rivera" - thank you for this - it's very helpful. I'm sorry your interview didn't go well - do you mind me asking why? I wish you the best of luck in your application process!

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

I don't have any advice but I just wanted to say congratulations. Getting an interview is an accomplishment in itself and a good sign that you'll be admitted.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited March 2018 3652 karma

You can always contact Spivey consulting and get interview prep from them. It's pricey but if you really want to go to Harvard it would be worth it just to ease the nerves and know what you're walking into.

Also, congrats!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Skype, phone, or in person? I'm impressed and proud that you got the offer to interview. That's awesome. I would maybe think about a quick way to convey your values and your personality to them, like one important quote you like or an admirable historical figure, or something you've read recently that you feel is interesting and why. Or maybe a family story that impacted you or an obstacle you've overcome that you want to share with other people. The big thing is making a human connection. Also, picture yourself at Harvard Square.

• Brazil020511Brazil020511 Alum Member
    429 karma

Hello! This may help!

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

Conversate. That’s the exact word (not “converse” not “communication”) that summarizes my advice (I did my JS1 yesterday morning). This should be casual, not canned, and your foremost goal should just be to be personable. Of course, you want to be able to discuss your app, goals, and what not, but those are (almost) subsidiary aims. Unfortunately, they often get far more attention than the human side of it. That’s unfortunate for this type of interview. So, like I said, “conversate”. That’s one of the mindsets that you should be trying, as much as possible, going into the interview.

Oh, but that doesn’t mean swearing (obviously) or anything like that. Cheers and luck!—A.c.S

• ABCjordanABCjordan Alum Member
    59 karma

thanks everyone!

• CocoZhangCocoZhang Alum Member
    476 karma

I did my interview last year. It was almost midnight in China and the internet connection wasn't great... so we actually turned off the video. So they are pretty accommodating and nice.

Raphael summarized the questions nicely. The questions they asked me were just normal. My advice would be to think about what you want to ask them. My interviewer just graduated from HLS not very long ago, so we talked a lot about her time at HLS, which was great.

Good luck and hope to see you on campus in August!

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2018 4141 karma

@CocoZhang said:
    I did my interview last year. It was almost midnight in China and the internet connection wasn't great... so we actually turned off the video. So they are pretty accommodating and nice.

Raphael summarized the questions nicely. The questions they asked me were just normal. My advice would be to think about what you want to ask them. My interviewer just graduated from HLS not very long ago, so we talked a lot about her time at HLS, which was great.

Good luck and hope to see you on campus in August!

Yeah, I agree with this. Know what you want to ask about HLS. It’s also best to know your application really well. I had an HLS interview last week and it really was a fun conversation. I was asked about my work at specific places after undergrad and then my other community activities. I was asked how I got involved and the challenges associate with each. Besides knowing your application and what you would do if admitted, focus on trying to have a good conversation. They aren’t “standard interviews” with scripted questions. Know how different experiences you’ve had contribute to what you want to do and why. Practice articulating things like that if you haven’t before. From talking to different people who have interviewed there, it seems like their admissions team truly is trying to get a full sense of what kind of person and student you are and what you would bring to the next class. You got this!